Older KFC/A&W combos

Moderator: Groceteria

Super S
Veteran

Older KFC/A&W combos

Post by Super S »

I recently had lunch at a KFC/A&W combo in Portland, Oregon. It was located on 82nd Avenue, I think at Powell but not sure of the cross street. Anyway, you could clearly tell that this building started life as a regular KFC, and was older, perhaps late 70s or early 80s vintage. That got me to thinking...I have seen new from-the-ground-up KFC/A&W combos, and combos that were remodeled from a traditional KFC. However, I have never seen a combo that was remodeled into a combo from a building that opened as an A&W only, whether new or an older "drive-in" style, and was wondering if any of these exist.
storewanderer
Veteran

Re: Older KFC/A&W combos

Post by storewanderer »

Although this is not completely impossible, KFC franchisees have the upper hand in this card game as they have first right to any new location within their territory. The power of the KFC franchisees has been a major difficultly in the co-branding efforts of YUM. You will notice more often than now the co-branded restaurants are mother KFC locations. There are quite a few Pizza Hut/Taco Bell combos, too, though. KFC/Pizza Hut combination for some reason never took off too well. KFC franchisees don't seem too interested in co-branding with Pizza Hut.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was surprised to find a few A&W/Long John Silvers combos that started out as just LJS.

A lot of KFC/Taco Bell 2-in-1s used to be just KFCs (including ours here in Oscoda, since rebuilt), but it seems most all the other 2-in-1s in Michigan were purpose-built. In fact, both Flint and Saginaw had existing KFCs close and relocate into newly-built KFC/A&Ws in the early 2000s. Ann Arbor had a KFC move to a new KFC/LJS combo (in a former Arby's-turned-Fazoli's; LJS has since been removed), and LJS moved to a purpose-built 2-in-1 with KFC in Port Huron.

The only KFC/LJS I know of that was NOT purpose-built is East Tawas, the next town over from me. It seems like a very odd place for LJS, as the building is very small, and the market is lacking in other "common" fast-food chains (no Arby's, Wendy's, etc. within an hour).
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

It is entirely possible those A&W/LJS that are originally LJS co-brand units pre-date the YUM purchase since the two chains were under the same ownership pre-YUM. I have seen some of those too, but I can't remember where... I want to say Oklahoma... but... not so positive.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/