What ever happened to Shakeys Pizza?

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

When I went to the Philippines on a trip in 1989 (I was pretty young then), I DID remember some locations of Shakey's Asian branch even then.

The one in Daly City at Broadmoor Center (near the former Mayfair that is now Kukje Market) is now an IHOP. I did go there once when it still was Shakey's, though.

The original Sacramento location became another restaurant that closed about two years ago, not sure what it is now as I haven't passed by that spot in a while.
Chris Sampang
Badgerinmaine

Post by Badgerinmaine »

r wrote:Thought I had seen one in Milwaukee, and sure enough their web site shows me it's on National near hiway 100. There used to be quite a number in the small cities of Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Yes. I remember their location in Middleton,WI just west of Madison, from when I was growing up. It was in a prominent location just north of University Avenue. I remeber they were famous for their banjo players and stained glass windows--they tried to create a "Gay 90's atmosphere".
wreckling

Post by wreckling »

(my first post - tee hee)

Recently I took photos of Shakey's in both Palmdale and Lancaster, ca. This was Lancaster:
A few months ago I noticed they were changing the signage, and I haven't been by since. I hope it hasn't been replaced.

I took pics of one of the lamps inside the Palmdale one, since the exterior sign was changed before I could get to it - but I used to go there as a kid.

You can see the rest of these pics (5 in all) by searching for "slumberof79" at photobucket.com.
Last edited by wreckling on 11 Nov 2006 02:50, edited 1 time in total.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

That's VINTAGE! Thanks for the shots.

Here's one I found of the sign at the original Sacramento location:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tspauld/25502608/
Chris Sampang
J-Man
Veteran

Shakey's

Post by J-Man »

They seem to be rebranding/remodeling. I've seen two stores recently that were either new builds or remodels that had a new logo with "Shakey's Pizza and Grill."
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Here is a link to photos of the STILL OPERATING Shakey's Pizza we have here in Georgia. It has been open for more than 30 years.

http://www.edricfloyd.com/oldschoolreta ... pizza.html
Buckethead
Contributor

Post by Buckethead »

There was one of these in my area back in the 80's. Like others here have mentioned, the pizza was mediocre, and I always preferred Straw Hat, Round table, and others over Shakey's.
DanniGirl

Shakey's Pizza Parlors in Maryland

Post by DanniGirl »

I grew up in Washington, D.C.; so, my friends and I used to frequent the Shakey's Pizza Parlor on Riggs Road at University Boulevard in Adelphi, MD. They had the best pizza!

There were two other Maryland locations -- one on Annapolis Road (Rte. 450) in Landover Hills and one in Suitland. When I moved into Maryland and lived near 450, I used to visit that restaurant, which had the buffet...and STILL had good pizza. However, that location was damaged by fire and never reopened.
timbabcock
Contributor

Shakey's Pizza

Post by timbabcock »

I knew the owner of the Seattle Franchise. He used to be one of my paper route cusomters in Des Moines, Washington when I was in junior high.

I know he got into car restoration in a big way and has a shop up on highway 99 in Midway.

I only know of two Shakey's left in the Seattle market (if there still around). One was in Fairwood (east of Renton Washingont) and the other was south in Maple Valley, Washington at the 4 corners shopping center.

I think the chains and the delivery service killed the business but those bitrthday parties were fun.

I knew they were in operation in 1999 but I don't know about today.
Dean
Veteran

Re: What ever happened to Shakeys Pizza?

Post by Dean »

San Bernardino CA--off Highland Avenue...site is currently an independent pizza place.

Rowland Heights CA--Colima Road...site is currently something else...Asian, I believe.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Dean,

The Colima Road Shakey's became a Szechwan chinese restaurant (which I've been to once) that didn't last long. Later it became a Chinese cafe but that didn't last long either. The place (still owned by Chinese) is currently an after-school tutoring center.

Shakeys is based in Alhambra and own half their restaurants in the San Gabriel Valley. Speaking of the Filipino Shakey's, the best example is in West Covina on Amar/Azusa right next to Island Pacific Supermarket. That area of the city is what the Tribune/Daily Bulletin calls "Little Manila". Despite Island Plaza (formerly Eichenbaum's Woodside Village) the only American businesses remaining are Pep Boys, Blockbuster Game Rush, Shakey's, Jack in the Box, Bank of America, Goodwill Industries, and Subway. (the rest are ethnic).

luckysaver
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Mom told me that when I was about 4, we had Shakey's Pizza at the location in Escanaba. I don't remember this, but I know that the location is now an AutoZone. There was a Shakey's in Iron Mountain as well, but I don't know where it was specifically, as my Iron Mountain phone book seems to have disappeared. Oddly, I haven't found any trace of Shakey's in the Mitten.