Former IHOP locations

Moderator: Groceteria

submariner
Veteran

Re: Former IHOP locations

Post by submariner »

Groceteria wrote:Found this while looking for something else in the Google Books Life Magazine archives. It's a list of all IHOP locations in 1967.

http://groceteria.com/forboard/ihop-1967.jpg

Well, as far as the Michigan locations listed go...

Detroit - Still standing, now some type of Lunch Buffet. The roof is now orange.
Dearborn - This closed as an IHOP in the mid 2000's. Torn down and replaced by a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins.
Birmingham - In 1996, Woodward Blvd (MI-1) was re-aligned and N. Hunter Blvd was renamed Woodward Blvd. Location appears to be demolished, date unknown.
Harper Woods - The only location still operating as an IHOP, with it's original blue roof.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

Nice find. I checked the Seattle locations (I'm not that familiar with what's on that side of the lake) and found:

950 E. Madison (Capitol Hill listed as 905 E. Madison on the 1967 list, but that was probably a transcription error:) Still operating as an IHOP. Bing Maps link

4301 Brooklyn Ave (University District): Appears to be gone now, but the satellite/ aerial photos are interesting. If you go to the Bird's Eye View on Bing Maps and look at it from the North, you'll see an IHOP with a blue roof. If you look at it from the east or west, you'll see the building with a brown roof (the South view is mostly blocked, but you can see a corner of this.) The Google Streetview shows an empty parking lot (and a mysteriously legless woman, but that's beside the point.)

425 Queen Anne Ave (a couple blocks west of Seattle Center / KeyArena): - Gone. HistoricAerials.com shows the structure as having been replaced sometime between 1998 and 2002.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

submariner wrote:
Groceteria wrote:Found this while looking for something else in the Google Books Life Magazine archives. It's a list of all IHOP locations in 1967.

http://groceteria.com/forboard/ihop-1967.jpg

Well, as far as the Michigan locations listed go...

Detroit - Still standing, now some type of Lunch Buffet. The roof is now orange.
Dearborn - This closed as an IHOP in the mid 2000's. Torn down and replaced by a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins.
Birmingham - In 1996, Woodward Blvd (MI-1) was re-aligned and N. Hunter Blvd was renamed Woodward Blvd. Location appears to be demolished, date unknown.
Harper Woods - The only location still operating as an IHOP, with it's original blue roof.
Montebello was an Ihop till about a year ago, then the owners lost the franchise rights. Its now Alexander's.
Monterey Park closed in the early 90's. It was relocated about 2 blocks north the Atlantic Square shopping center and the original torn down.
Pasadena was an Ihop till a yearsago, then closed and is now a Panera Bread.
Covina is still an Ihop that has been expanded.
trainman
Contributor

Post by trainman »

On the '67 list, both Burbank, CA and Tampa, FL (S. Dale Mabry) are still IHOPs. Burbank has a renovated interior -- including, sadly, a drop ceiling. Not sure of the interior status of that Tampa location.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

submariner wrote:Birmingham - In 1996, Woodward Blvd (MI-1) was re-aligned and N. Hunter Blvd was renamed Woodward Blvd. Location appears to be demolished, date unknown.
You can't even tell that Hunter Blvd. used to have restaurants; it's all offices now according to the bird's-eye views on Bing. I know I found a former Little Caesars at 280 S. Hunter/Old Woodward.

Just don't get me started on the re-numbering of addresses along Woodward in Royal Oak...
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Brian Lutz wrote:4301 Brooklyn Ave (University District): Appears to be gone now, but the satellite/ aerial photos are interesting.
I recall hearing somewhere that this site was sold to the University of Washington as part of the adjacent Safeco Tower properties. It had stopped operating as an IHOP some time before the UW took over, however.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

There is also a former IHOP location in Burien, WA at the corner of 1st Ave S and SR 518. It is now a Thai restaurant. But it still has the distinctive roof.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

The first IHOP location was at 4301 Riverside Drive in Toluca Lake, CA. It's now Mo's Restaurant.
LadyNoir
Contributor

Post by LadyNoir »

In Chicago we still have plenty of the homes still around. Based on the locations listed on that 1967 ad some remain while others are long gone.

5929 N Lincoln Still alive and well (I occasionally eat at this location since it's close to my job and they remodeled it a couple of years ago while keeping the outside intact

4210 N Cicero Still open

5779 N Milwaukee This location must be LONG gone as I believe the building no longer stands and I don't recall ever seeing an IHop in this area

9355 S Western Driven past this location plenty of times. The building still stands but it is now Captain Hook's Fish and Chicken

100 ASbury Ave, Evanston Still standing and still open, frequented this IHOP in high school

30 E Webster, Joliet
Looks like it's gone (?)

9206 N Milwaukee, Niles Long closed, though the building still stands, it is now known as Niles Grill

7210 W Irving Park, Norridge No longer exists (?)

4744 W 95th Street, Oak Lawn I'm pretty sure this one's long gone

6501 W North Ave,[/color] Oak Park Still there and still an IHOP

8329 N Skokie Blvd, Skokie Had a relative that lived around the corner from here in the 1990s. It closed sometime in the early or mid 90s and sat there for a bit until it was torn down and rebuilt as a Taco Bell

Other home-like IHOPs not listed in the 1967 ad (Must have came later) but still open as IHops

Diversey and California, Chicago
Belmont and Central, Chicago
LadyNoir
Contributor

Post by LadyNoir »

There's also another location at 3760 North Halsted in Chicago that I passed by the otehr day. Another old home Ihop.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Another one bites the dust: the University Parkway location here in Winston-Salem apparently closed while I was in California for Christmas.

Others from the 1967 list I hadn't mentioned before:

Bakersfield: Closed sometime in the past five years, now some other restaurant. I shot photos of it with mostly original signage in 2005.
Berkeley: Has been a North Beach Pizza for many years.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

Since I posted previously on this thread, the former IHOP in Downtown Bellevue has been turned into one of the several cupcake places that has popped up around here lately. Interestingly, the sign for the new place borrows some design cues from the classic IHOP sign, which would seem to indicate that the current occupants are well aware of the building's former use. I'll have to grab a photo later on when I get a chance.

Also, here's a 1969 IHOP Commercial from YouTube. Interestingly enough, the link for this came from the "What do you mean it wasn't made on drugs?" page on TVTropes...

Edit: There's some pictures of the new place at its Yelp page where you can see some of the signs and designs.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Bellevue Store screams classic Ihop...sadly those cupcakes look kinda depressing.
Gary21228
Contributor

Post by Gary21228 »

From the 1967 list for Baltimore, MD:

5600 Baltimore National Pike (Catonsville): Still standing, no longer an IHOP - now operating as Shirley's Diner.

6322 Reisterstown Road (Baltimore City): Still standing, use unknown
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

What's in a name? IHOP, the restaurant, drops trademark flap against IHOP, the church

http://www.latimes.com/business/nationw ... 2754.story