Cleveland, Ohio: Former Fast Food?

Moderator: Groceteria

Daniel
Veteran

Cleveland, Ohio: Former Fast Food?

Post by Daniel »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67661849@N00/3196318804/

Does anybody know what this was originally?
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Cleveland, Ohio: Former Fast Food?

Post by Jeff »

It almost looks like a Kentucky Fried Chicken.
dooneyt63
Contributor

Post by dooneyt63 »

Possibly a Dunkin' Donuts. They had some with the corner mansard and full windows. That would fit the area.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Ah-ha, that was a possibility I hadn't thought of. Not being from this area I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, lol.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

What's the address/location?
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

It's at E. 125th and St. Clair.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

In that neighborhood, probably not Dunkin' Donuts. More likely a KFC or another chicken franchise. That area used to have a Pick-n-Pay (never got turned into a Finast; St. Clair and 123rd) and Fisher Foods (St. Clair & Shaw; I think it was an Eagle or someother co-op for a while). The Pick-n-Pay lasted until the late 80s or longer; the Fisher shore may have lasted even longer. I have less memory of other stores there, although the area was never developed enough as a retail district to have variety stores, drug stores, or a lot of the usual "trolley stop" small retail. It could easily have been a local business or one of the non-KFC chicken franchises. KFC in Cleveland was franchised under Kenny Kings and they had their own building styles and didn't get into building new KFCs with a take-out only or largeely take-out set-up until the 80s. That's why I tend to think it might be something else. The fact that the supermarkets lasted as long as they did would suggest a healthier area for retail than some areas South of there--Superior Ave lost most of its retail, up to the East Cleveland line in the '68 riots. The Shaw-Hayden area in East Cleveland went through a long, slow decline thru the 60s and 70s. Consequently, a chain would have put a franchise there. It's less likely that a local enterpreneur would have been able to get financing, although right after the riots, there might have been some effort to do this.