Does anyone remember Taco Charley?

Moderator: Groceteria

Floyd

Does anyone remember Taco Charley?

Post by Floyd »

Does anyone remember the mexican fast food restaurant chain in the 70's and early 80's called "Taco Charley"? They had a location on Pacific Avenue in Stockton. It was better food than Taco Bell, which ironically bought them out in the early 80's.One menu item was was kept during the changeover was the "Taco Lite" which was like a Taco Supreme but in a Crispy Flour Tortilla instead of a Corn Tortilla. Does anyone know the history of this chain?
romleys
Veteran

Taco Charley

Post by romleys »

Despite not knowing the history I do know that where some locations were located.
1700 Contra Costa Blvd., Pleasant Hill, CA (Now a Taco Bell)

Foothill Blvd., Hayward, CA (Now a Taco Bell)

Sacramento, CA (Unknown Status)

These locations had exterior architecture which looked like the Cosmo design which Burger Chef restaurants from the 1960's and 1970's had.

Hope this helps :)
Charles H:)
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

FYI, there's a Taco Charley commercial available for viewing here:

http://www.ncvideo.com/ncvideo_commercial.htm

And if their buildings are the ones I'm thinking of, then this thread has answered a long-standing question of mine, namely what all those Taco Bell locations in California that look like they used to be something else actually WERE. If it's the prototype I'm thinking of, there are lots of them in the Bay Area.
bigbubby
Contributor

Re: Does anyone remember Taco Charley?

Post by bigbubby »

Floyd wrote:Does anyone remember the mexican fast food restaurant chain in the 70's and early 80's called "Taco Charley"? They had a location on Pacific Avenue in Stockton. It was better food than Taco Bell, which ironically bought them out in the early 80's.One menu item was was kept during the changeover was the "Taco Lite" which was like a Taco Supreme but in a Crispy Flour Tortilla instead of a Corn Tortilla. Does anyone know the history of this chain?
That sounds familiar. What I do remember for sure was the 39 Cent Hamburger Stand on Hammer Lane across from what was originally Zody's, then Pak N Save, then a race track, and now a 99 Cent store. Coincidentally, when Zody's was there Alpha Beta was next door.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The 39 cent hamburger stands were great for a shoestring budget. I loved going there as a kid.

Coincedentally, the one I used to go to all the time in Pomona survived until about 3 years ago. It went up to 49 cents in the late 90s. i had found a 2nd location down here in Norwalk that lasted until about 2 years ago.

They both have gone back to Wienerschnitzel locations.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Looking at that commercial, we must've had those in Fresno. There were 2 Taco Bells that were in buildings with that architecture. I just assumed they had always been Taco Bells since the buildings were very similar to a 70's Taco Bell.
TheStranger
Veteran

Taco Charley's

Post by TheStranger »

I have never heard of this chain before, but some research by Charles Hathaway pointed out a former location in the Lemon Hill area of Sacramento, now operating as Taco Bell at 5919 Stockton Boulevard. This is across the street from a former Lucky/Albertsons.

http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/sac.htm

Anyone have any more information on this chain?
Chris Sampang