Original Jack in the Box sites

Moderator: Groceteria

Brian Lutz
Veteran

Re: Original Jack in the Box sites

Post by Brian Lutz »

javelin wrote:I thought I'd look at the Wikipedia page on JITB after that weird commercial during the Super Bowl.

Apparently in the 80's after getting rid of the "clown", the company changed some of its stores to "Monterey Jack's". I don't remember that here in CA. It didn't work out well and they changed them back by 1986. That's all I can find about it.
I know they did that in the Albuquerque market (I don't think there were more than about 2-3 stores there at the time. The notorious "exploding clown" commercial played on the local TV station when they did it.)
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
shane
Contributor

Post by shane »

Lancaster has a rather old Jack In The Box with boxy style architecture. My grandfather used to eat there back in late sixties and early seventies. Suposedly this restaurant had salad bar back in the eighties. This location is near 10th st. and AVE K.
Last edited by shane on 11 Mar 2009 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

javelin wrote:Apparently in the 80's after getting rid of the "clown", the company changed some of its stores to "Monterey Jack's". I don't remember that here in CA. It didn't work out well and they changed them back by 1986. That's all I can find about it.
Monterey Jack's was test marketed with 39 stores in New Mexico, Texas, and Seattle when Foodmaker was owned by Ralston Purina. When Foodmaker went private they dropped the idea and changed them back to JITB.
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

The location on Mt. Diablo Blvd. in Lafayette, CA (Contra Costa Co.) was definitely there in the late '60s. It (along with Taco Bell) was our 'go to" fast food place when I was in high school back then. (There were no McDonald's, Wendy's or BKs around in those days.) I'm sure the building has been remodeled numerous times since then, but I'm pretty sure it's in exactly the same location. Anyone remember Jack Cola and Jack's Secret Sauce?
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

Speaking of the exploding clown, here's the commercial (which appears to be from 1980, although I think they used portions of it in 1985 when they did the Monterey Jack's switchover:)

Link (Youtube)

It was the clown, of course, that had the last laugh.

Link (Youtube)

And as long as we're on the subject, there's a 1972 ad on Youtube as well touting their drive-thru (oddly enough, the 1971 location in Bellevue I discussed earlier in the thread doesn't have a drive-thru on it, as I found out when I visited today.)

Link
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Found one on Michigan Ave. in Dearborn. No idea what it is now.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote: I recall another...on Whittier Boulevard in La Habra CA. It is currently a doughnut shop.
Site is currently vacant.
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

I'm new to this forum, but thought I'd add a bit here. There's a former Jack in the Box in New Paltz,NY that is still standing today. It was a mountain sport shop for some time and is turning into a Hookah Shop. I'll get a picture if you are interested.

BDK
Transit Road
Contributor

Post by Transit Road »

I'm new to this forum, but thought I'd add a bit here. There's a former Jack in the Box in New Paltz,NY that is still standing today. It was a mountain sport shop for some time and is turning into a Hookah Shop. I'll get a picture if you are interested.
There was a Jack in the Box location in Vails Gate, NY located on NY 32 across from the Shop Rite supermarket. I wonder if it still standing?
Bearhawke
Contributor

Post by Bearhawke »

I remember my first Jack on Rte 7 at the extreme S end of Arlington @ the Alexandra line from the 1970's and it was not new back then. I want to say it was close to where George Mason Dr ended. This was in the Wash DC area.
Bearhawke in Arizona
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

There is a vacant red-and-black Jack's location in Oceanside CA on Mission Ave east of I-5.

Many red-and-black units still exist in Southern California today such as Covina (Grand Ave/Covina Blvd), West Covina (Amar/Azusa), and Rowland Heights (Colima/Nogales).

luckysaver
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Huntington Beach CA
Pacific Coast Highway @ First
Former site is now a Dairy Queen.

Driving along PCH from HB to Long Beach...there are at least Jack's! They truly exploded in the area during the late 60s!
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

The location in Longview, WA, which is a late 1970s build that largely still had its original appearance, closed a while back and is undergoing a major remodel which is involving removing its original facade. I would guess any other older ones will be following suit. My guess is that this is in response to McDonald's and Burger King, both of which have been doing complete rebuilds and major remodels in recent years.
eltf177
Contributor

Post by eltf177 »

Bearhawke wrote: 04 Oct 2010 22:52I remember my first Jack on Rte 7 at the extreme S end of Arlington @ the Alexandra line from the 1970's and it was not new back then. I want to say it was close to where George Mason Dr ended. This was in the Wash DC area.
I didn't know Jack had any east coast presence (at one time I lived in Monterey CA and Jack's were all over). When my family first moved to VA in 1976 there was one in Falls Church but it was gone by 1980.
BatteryMill
Contributor

Post by BatteryMill »

JitB existed in Annandale and Reston as well.