BULLOCKS--Southern California

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Re: BULLOCKS--Southern California

Post by luckysaver »

Jeff and Dean,

FYI: The Broadway/Sears site in West Covina was an Alpha Beta prior to mall construction, opened in the mid 1950's and closed in the early 1970's to make way for the mall. It was the first AB in West Covina, and later, Amar-Azusa opened in 1973 and closed after 1995. LATimes articles on the mall site can be found by searching 600 Sunset West Covina in the times archives.

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

FYI, this is the last week to visit the old Bullock's Lake Ave in Pasadena. It apparently is closing in a week (May 1st). The store will then be closed till October for Earthquake retrofit and remodel. Apparently they are not going to take away the historic elements of the store.
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Correct me on this, but I recall Bullock's being part of Macy's Atlanta division after Macy's acquired the chain from Federated department stores rather than Macy's San Francisco. I always suspected this had much to do with Bullock's Federated history as well as the recognition of Northern California/ Southern California distinction.

Bullock's Wilshire was the upmarket version of Bullock's, not as high end as Bloomingdale's, but above the typical Bullock's and Macy's, similar to the differences between pre-1993 J.W. Robinson and May California.

I've always had the impression that Bullock's and J.W. Robinson were "the Southern California" department stores as opposed to The Broadway and May Co. California being the runner ups.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

No, that particular Bullocks was part of the Northern California division before it closed.

That store was at Stonestown Mall in San Francisco. This store was closed and later became a Nordstrom.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Bullocks West Covina has quickly transformed into a Best Buy store that will open this Fall.
Best Buy is moving from the "The Lakes" since that complex opened.

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

luckysaver wrote:Bullocks West Covina has quickly transformed into a Best Buy store that will open this Fall.
Best Buy is moving from the "The Lakes" since that complex opened.

luckysaver
The Best Buy has already opened. It opened a few weeks ago.

The only part of the old Bullocks left is the 2 level section of the new wing. That was the original frame of the Bullocks.
Clumsygenes
Contributor

Post by Clumsygenes »

Surely do miss the Bullocks and Buffums stores in La Habra Fashion Square.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Noticed an old ad for Bullock's, and it was Bullock*s, with the current Macy*s star/asterisk as the apostrophe. Guess I never noticed that before. Were there any other affiliated chains that they used the * as well?

Found the following picture after the Northridge earthquake:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 29,r:5,s:0
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Great history and picture:

http://www.calif.aaa.com/westways/2011- ... shire.aspx

You can STILL see B U L L O C K S on the side of the former Palm Desert location at the Westfield Palm Desert.