Best Products

Moderator: Groceteria

ascjon

Post by ascjon »

We had a former LaBelle's store that became Best in Mesa, AZ in the late 1980's (now a Bed, Bath, & Beyond. Service Merchandise was on the other side of the street. It is now closed although the exterior signage reamins intact.
bigbubby
Contributor

Re: Best Products in Sacro

Post by bigbubby »

norcalraclerk wrote:Was this Sacramento one in the Arden Fair parking lot(now a 2-story building with Linens-n-Things on one level and Best Buy on the other)or near Florin Mall(don't know what became of that one)?I know Citrus Heights now houses a furniture store...

It was Arden Fair.
Dave
Veteran

Re: Best Products in Sacro

Post by Dave »

norcalraclerk wrote:...now a 2-story building...
Typically all Bests were two stories to begin with - the first floor being the showroom and the second floor for the actual storage of the merchandise, which was carried down a conveyor to merchandise pickup.

They didn't necessarily have climate control on the second floor. Back in the seventies, a buddy of mine worked at Best's second store ("peeling facade" on Midlothian Turnpike in Richmond). He told me it got up to 115 to 120 F in the summers, since it was bascially unfinished space under a metal roof. His boss also was armed with a pistol for "loss prevention".[/quote]
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

Funny that this thread was brought back up top today. I just obtained a 1975 Best Products catalog ("Buyer's Book") complete with 1974-vintage warehouse clearance brochure today.. I already had a 1964 catalog and copies of the last couple of years of catalogs they ever produced. They're fun to look at. I'm going to post a scan from one of the catalogs that poses an interesting architectural question soon.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

O.K. - here's a scan of the cover of a 1974 Best Warehouse Clearance flyer. Does anyone recognize the store on the flyer as having any particular prototype? The original Best store in Richmond was a plain brick box without any scalloped awnings like the one on the catalog - and the other Best stores around here were either SITE creations or a regular-looking sort of store. It doesn't match up to the warehouse and showroom in Ashland, VA, either.

mgrmk
Contributor

Best Stores - Las Vegas

Post by mgrmk »

There were 2 operational Best stores and a 3rd was all set up and partially stocked in Las Vegas when they closed. All 3 stores sat empty for about 6 months back in the mid 90's until Copeland Sports took over all 3 locations.
shopnbag

Post by shopnbag »

I remember a Best store in Clovis CA (near Fresno) at the corner of Shaw and Clovis Avenues in the Longs Drug shopping center. I loved how the conveyor belt brought out the merchandise from the back, like they do at Circuit City today.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Where in the shopping center was this? I only remember the anchors of the center being Longs, Safeway, Sprouse-Reitz, and Big 5... Was the Best store in one of these stores?
shopnbag

Post by shopnbag »

Daniel wrote:Where in the shopping center was this? I only remember the anchors of the center being Longs, Safeway, Sprouse-Reitz, and Big 5... Was the Best store in one of these stores?
It's been a while but I believe there is a pet store in the Best building now. I'll double-check, but I think that's right.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Oh, OK, the Best building was demolished, then. Before the Petsmart opened, there was a dirt lot at the end of the center. (It had been a lot since at least 1986 or 1987 -- we visited the center a lot because I forced my mom to shop at the Safeway there up until it closed) I had always wondered why there was nothing on that land, I never knew something had been demolished.
sd01

Best Products Milwaukee Inside/Outside Showroom

Post by sd01 »

Dave wrote:Yep. I understand the Milwaukee store was retrofitted into a Wal-Mart.
I saw that in an article awhile back too. But actually, the giant holes in the building were filled in, and it became a Kids 'R Us, Office Depot, and then a K&G Fashion Superstore.

The Milwaukee store was called the "Inside/Outside" building...really amazing looking piece.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Speaking of Service Merchandise and BEST, South San Francisco had one of each - BEST at Gellert Square, and Service Merchandise in the old White Front space at Spruce/El Camino.

The Service Merchandise closed around 2000 and Safeway wanted to expand its store into the vacant space, but Bally's Total Fitness took the site instead.

As for BEST, it closed in the early 90s and is now an Orchard Supply Hardware location; the building was in the same very generic fashion as the rest of Gellert Square and wasn't particularly distinctive, though it was built on the side of the hill and I THINK is a two-story structure.
Chris Sampang
RandallFlagg
Contributor

Post by RandallFlagg »

We had two best stores that I remember shopping in. One was located in Montclair, CA. It was located on the sw corner of Central Ave. and I believe Arrow Hwy. It is now a Best Buy. The other one was in San Bernardino. I was right next to the I-215 on the east side. It was across the street from Carousel Mall on G st. behind the In and Out. I think its some kind of vocational school now.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

RandallFlagg wrote:We had two best stores that I remember shopping in. One was located in Montclair, CA. It was located on the sw corner of Central Ave. and I believe Arrow Hwy. It is now a Best Buy. The other one was in San Bernardino. I was right next to the I-215 on the east side. It was across the street from Carousel Mall on G st. behind the In and Out. I think its some kind of vocational school now.
Yes, adjacent to 215 is a former BEST. I believe it is a office of some type. The former MERVYNS across the street is now a CALTRANS office!