the BROADWAY

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

the BROADWAY

Post by Dean »

Found the following on the Broadway. Gotta' love the old graphics!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Broadway

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Hawley_Hale_Stores

Pictures:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q ... 1&ct=title

Sites became:

Puente Hills--demolished for AMC movie theater
Whittier--Sears
West Covina--Sears
San Bernardino--Macy*s, then ALMOST Mervyn's. Was set to open before Mervyn's folded.
Riverside--Macy*s (correct?)
Montclair--Macy*s
Carson--IKEA. Awesome outdoor escalator/stairs added--see picture of site above and also below:

http://www.mitchglaser.com/malls/broadway.html

What about the other sites?
Jeff
Veteran

Re: the BROADWAY

Post by Jeff »

I had posted all the sites on Wikipedia, and they deleted them.....jerks.

Anyway:
Pasadena - became Broadway Clearance Center (1996-1998?) then renamed MACYS when they tore down the mall.
Arcadia - Macys
Riverside - became Macys, now closed. Macys moved to former Robinsons-May.
Montclair - became Macys, now closed. Macys moved to former Robinsons-May.
Sherman Oaks - Bloomingdales
Costa Mesa - Macys Home Store
Century City - Bloomingdales
Newport Beach - Bloomingdales
Northridge - Trader Joes, Health Club and Borders (subdivided all 4 levels)
Huntington Beach - Kohls (only on 2 levels - escalators to 3rd level are walled up).
Culver City - Macys
Orange - demolished for Wal-Mart
Laguna Hills - Macys
Anaheim - demolished for Wal-Mart
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

Don't forget downtown L.A. (Broadway Plaza)-Became Macy's (Macy's Plaza.)

And there were stores in Bakersfield, the San Diego area, Arizona, New Mexico, and Las Vegas at one time (not to mention the big store in Hollywood that closed down many years ago.) Weren't they also in Thousand Oaks, Palm Desert, Santa Monica, Ventura and Santa Maria?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Yep, all over the southwest
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

If I recall correctly, in New Mexico (and presumably Arizona as well) they generally used the name "Broadway Southwest" in their advertising (as opposed to just "The Broadway". I don't recall much more than that, since the closest one to where I lived was 100 miles away in Albuquerque and I can't ever recall shopping there. About all I ever heard of them was their TV ads.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Thanks, as always Jeff for filling in the holes!

Montclair--supposed to be demolishing the former site for expansion I believe.
Puente Hills--site was the same as the Carson site. Funky 70s geometric design.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Carson and Puente Hills were the only two (as far as I've seen) that were designed like that. It even had a funky font compared to the other stores which were all similar.

The Montclair store I'm sure will be still standing for a while since the economy is bad. Funny thing about that store, when the mall added the 2nd level in the 80's, they literally built it on top of the old mall's roof line. The three major department stores that anchored the mall (JCPenney, Broadway and May Co) had issues with the 2nd level.

JCPenney has ramps that go down into the 2nd level from the 2nd level of the mall.
The Broadway had a weird, small sales floor then escalators that took you down into the old store (later adding a small wheelchair elevator).
May Co, which was 2 levels, never hit the 2nd floor of the mall, since the 2nd level of the store was the main level of the mall.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Jeff wrote:Northridge - Trader Joes, Health Club and Borders (subdivided all 4 levels)
Do you mean the store at the north end of the Northridge Fashion Plaza? It was partially dismantled to create an open-air plaza with a Harry & David, Sharper Image, and other smaller stores while the northern half of the store stayed standing. In that original part of the structure there is a Borders, Cost Plus, and an On the Border restaurant, but no TJ's or gym.

A few other Broadway stores:
Topanga Plaza: Sears
The Panorama City and Crenshaw Plaza stores were not demolished and became Walmarts. The Crenshaw Plaza store was a Macy's for a while in the interim.
The Westchester Mervyns started life as Milliron's, then became a Broadway, then Mervyns though this was long before The Broadway was Macyized.
The Santa Monica Place store is slated to become a Bloomingdale's when the mall reopens.
The Beverly Center is also a Bloomingdales (the Bullocks became Macy's).
ieguy441
Contributor

Post by ieguy441 »

Plaza Camino Real in Carlsbad, CA had both Broadway and Bullocks when I was a kid. The Broadway became Macy's Womens while Bullocks became MENS/FURNISHING. I remember as a kid having lunch on a several occasions in the Restaurant on the upper level of Broadway... Last I checked I believe it was still open.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

Are there any other former Broadways with this design?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

ieguy441 wrote:Plaza Camino Real in Carlsbad, CA had both Broadway and Bullocks when I was a kid. The Broadway became Macy's Womens while Bullocks became MENS/FURNISHING. I remember as a kid having lunch on a several occasions in the Restaurant on the upper level of Broadway... Last I checked I believe it was still open.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

Are there any other former Broadways with this design?
None down here in So Cal anymore. The former Thousand Oaks store, which was just demolished last year looked like this design. There are many in Arizona with this design.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Jeff wrote:Carson and Puente Hills were the only two (as far as I've seen) that were designed like that. It even had a funky font compared to the other stores which were all similar.
A third has been found.

Metrocenter Mall in Phoenix.

The Macys store closed and moved into the former Robinsons-May location. So this store could have been demolished by now.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Jeff wrote:A third has been found.

The Macys store closed and moved into the former Robinsons-May location. So this store could have been demolished by now.
The ex-Broadway at Metrocenter is still standing at this time.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

jamcool wrote:
Jeff wrote:A third has been found.

The ex-Broadway at Metrocenter is still standing at this time.
Funny how designs changed over the years.

In the older photos above...there are a TON of windows. Yet, this type had NO windows!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

It did have some windows, usually at one of the enterances where the restaurant was. Puente Hills had one on the west entry....
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Jeff wrote:I had posted all the sites on Wikipedia, and they deleted them.....jerks.
It's not a "jerk" thing at all. We have had a community consensus, through multiple discussions, that has said that store listings should NOT be on WIkipedia articles, as a.) they constitute "indiscriminate information", and b.) especially with former chains, they are hard to verify and update.