Was this a Kmart?

Moderator: Groceteria

Daniel
Veteran

Was this a Kmart?

Post by Daniel »

This store is currently operating as Old Time Pottery, but I know it was something else before. There is an unused garden center on the right hand side of the store, and the bathroom area in the back feels like a 60's-70's era Kmart. I also thought of Zayre, which did have stores in Cleveland, but I don't remember any of those having a garden center.

The address for the store is: 7011 West 130th Street Parma Heights, OH 44130. It's right across from the old Halle's and the groovy Sears store. Next door to it is an abandoned MC Sports which I think might've been a grocery at one time.

Unused Garden Center. The doors to this area from the inside of the store are painted over.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

It sure looks like an old Kmart Store.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Probably the old Uncle Bill's--one of their last and largest. Some of their stores were bought by K-Mart. Pick-n-Pay may have been next door. They tended to build them in tandem until Cook United sold Pick-n-Pay in the mid 70s. There was another example of a UB-PnP combo on Broadway & Union, which I think also became a K-Mart.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Ah, I had never seen any photos of an Uncle Bill's so they didn't come to mind. OTP completely removed any trace of another store form the interior -- theere's just a bare concrete floor and exposed ceiling inside with no decor at all.

The space I believe to be a former grocery was re-fronted sometime in the 80's or 90's but still has side entrances. At the end of the strip is a small space that was a Dollar General and is also vacant.
Sdorulla
Contributor

Post by Sdorulla »

This was definitely an Uncle Bill's/Pick-n-Pay combo. I believe it was the second one, the first one being the aforementioned one on Broadway and Aetna Road in Cleveland. The Broadway store became a Kmart after Cook United folded and remained a Kmart until 2002 when it closed at the time of the bankruptcy. The Pick-n-Pay/Finast/Tops store remained until 2004 or 2005. The Kmart space is now Metrohealth center and I believe the Tops is still vacant, although I could be wrong.

Stan D.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

This location was never a K mart, since K mart already has a Middleburg Heights store on Bagley Road. I think an electronics store (I think Fretter) moved in after the Pick-N-Pay closed. I know that there have been various stores in that building after Cooks closed.