MAYS - New York City

Moderator: Groceteria

dth1971
Contributor

MAYS - New York City

Post by dth1971 »

Who remembers in the New York City area the department store chain MAYS and its "Every day's a sale day at May's" jingle slogan?
valleyankee

Post by valleyankee »

dth1971
Contributor

MAY'S

Post by dth1971 »

Thanks for the YouTube clips, as I checked the comments is it true MAY'S in NYC became in the 1980's Foley's and then as of the 1990's-2000's Macy's?
valleyankee

Post by valleyankee »

No "Mays", the New York area chain never became anything, they folded ot maybe they became Bradlee's. I think you ate thinking of the "May" department store chain. Foleys was never a "May" department store though. Most May stores were in Southern California and became Robinsons-May when the merged with Robinsons, then they became Macy's. I think Foleys was a Texas based chain and there was a group of stores in Denver called "May D&F" that later became Foleys then became Macy's. Confused. Basically Macy's swallowed up ever loca department store chain in the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Department_Stores
nysw3636
Veteran

Re: MAYS - New York City

Post by nysw3636 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a May's at the Dutchess Mall in Fishkill,NY? It was a 2-story store!!
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

May had chains all over the country. The May name was only used in LA, Cleveland, and Denver (and for a while in Jacksonville). The SoCal stores were not the largest part of the company. May ran "promotional" department stores--big on bargain basements that often sold seconds, big storewide sales, mid-range brands, and in a few places, trading stamps. Except for the trading stamps, Macy's was a lot like that before the mid/late 70s. Over time, May dropped the more promotional image and cheap merchandise.

The NYC chain was JW Mays. They were half a step or so down from May or Macy--cheaper merchandise, not very fashionable. A competitor with S Klein (both on Union Square in NYC). Stores like theirs tended to die out in the 60s and 70s, as discounters took over a lot of their market.
Transit Road
Contributor

Post by Transit Road »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a May's at the Dutchess Mall in Fishkill,NY? It was a 2-story store!!

You are correct, sir!
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

Thank you Transit Road!! I also remember Service Merchandise being at the south end of the mall!!

BDK
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

I hear different accounts about the Duchess Mall store. Some say it was open by 1968-1969, others 1974. Does anyone know the year they closed? I know it was during the 80's.

May acquired the Turn Style big-box chain in 1977 from Jewel Companies. They famously "passed" on the location at the infamous Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, Illinois. This is now the most creepy part of the mall. They say the store always suffered from its poor choice of location around the back. The construction of this store was not as durable to begin with, since it was added in 1970. Most of the mall opened in 1965 or 1966.

Here is another "May's" for you: a restaurant in Berwick, PA I ate at last week!
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

I believe the Dutchess Mall opened in 1974 and finally closed in the mid to late 1990's. Service Merchandise closed in 1996. Jamesway closed in 1994. BTW, after Mays closed in the early 1980's, it was Gaynes for a short period, then finally Jamesway. I also remember Mama Brava Pizza and Drug World in the mall.

BDK
RoleModel

Post by RoleModel »

Tri-County Flea Market in Levittown used to be a Mays. You can even still see it on the doors (!).
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

I believe that Mays only had 9 locations...

Brooklyn,NY
Levittown,NY
Manhatten,NY
Massapequa,NY
Jamaica,NY
Woodmere,NY
Glen Oaks,NY
Fishkill,NY
Scarsdale,NY