Kroger Pharmacies

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Kroger Pharmacies

Post by luckysaver »

Did you know -

Kroger owns the 1-store Gene Maddy Drugs (I believe it is in the midwest). What's the history behind Gene Maddy and how did Kroger get a hold of that store - was it part of a former drugstore chain?

Kroger never mentioned them on their website as a banner nor a corporate subsidiary. The only source is the "Kroger Family of Pharmacies" logos found on the back of the drug information sheet with the duplicate receipts given to you by the pharmacist. It lists all grocery banners with instore pharmacies and PPS (mail order specialty pharmacy division). Gene Maddy has a 1960's/early 1970's era logo in a blue oval, some what of a similar design to Alpha Beta's Hy-Lo logo.

luckysaver
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

I never heard of this, but a Google search locates it in Anderson,IN. It's likely came with the acqusition of PayLess Food Stores that operates in the Muncie, Anderson, and LaFayette, IN. It could possibly be a more recent acquisition of a neighboring drug store to a Kroger or PayLess with the intention of Kroger using the space to expand the existing grocery store and incorporate the pharmacy into one store. Kroger's web site store locator brings up 3 PayLess stores all with a pharmacy in Anderson. Kroger doesn't supply independents so this is an odd call unless someone local can give more background.

Kroger did operate a chain of drugstores from the 1960's until 1986. The primary banner was SupeRx, which was in most of the same states as Kroger and Florida and Arizona and I believe Nevada, long before any Fry's and Smith's were owned by Kroger. Additionally there was Hook Drugs with mainly a Midwestern presence, Gasen's in the St. Louis are and Sav-on Drugs in New York City, Long Island and Northern Jersey.
Most SupeRx locations were adjacent to Kroger and many were absorbed into Kroger when the chain began building combo food-drug stores. Some early combo's were bannered Kroger Sav-on, most notably in the Toledo/Northwest Ohio region and in the former Charlotte division(Carolinas KMA in Kroger speak), in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Savannah, GA. The Sav-on logo was very similar to the California Sav-on logo. The remaining freestanding SupeRx stores were spun off in 1986 to a new entity, Hook SupeRx Inc(HSI) which was controlled by Kroger and eventually sold to Revco, which was acquired by CVS in the mid-90's. A few freestanding stores were kept by Kroger as a freestanding Kroger Drug Store and some locations were sold to other drugstore operators. SupeRx stores in Atlanta went to Tresury Drug, then owned by JCPenney.
When JCPenney acquired Eckerd, the Treasury stores were sold to Revco.
luckysaver
Veteran

Gene Maddy Drugs owned by Kroger

Post by luckysaver »

Gene Maddy is a stand-alone pharmacy as far as I know it and it is on the paper you get from a Kroger-owned pharmacy. It may be part of the Payless Division.

Supervalu's Farm Fresh unit operates a stand-alone drug store/pharmacy - inside a Virginia hospital campus's medical office building. I believe they have a contract to run the inpatient hospital pharmacy service.

luckysaver
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

Kroger also owned a stand alone pharmacy in Bellevue, WA as part of it's QFC division for a short period of time. But I believe that it was to so they would buy the perscription business while they were preparing their flagship Bellevue location to be remodeled to include a pharmacy.
CC-Gal

Re: Kroger Pharmacies

Post by CC-Gal »

I realize this is an old post...but it doesn't appear that anyone from Anderson IN ever saw it to clear up the confusion.

Gene Maddy's (the pharmacy I personally use) was located on the corner of 29th and Main Streets, in front of the Pay Less Supermarket. When Pay Less decided to remodel and expand which included adding a bank, they also moved Gene Maddy's into the store. I believe this was AFTER Kroger merged Pay Less. Originally Gene Maddy's was a stand alone drug store, and actually still may be and only rents space. As far as I am aware, it is the only Pay Less Supermarket of the 3 that still exist in Anderson that has a pharmacy located within it. I believe they also removed the bank not too long ago.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

There is a stand alone Fred Meyer Pharmacy in Seattle on the next block over from the Fred Meyer there that is currently undergoing a major remodel.

And there is a freestanding Dillons Pharmacy in a former Blockbuster in Joplin, MO...
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Kroger also operated at least one (that I'm personally aware of) pharmacy in, of all places, a Tom Thumb Gas Station in Pensacola, Florida (Kroger has no supermarket operations in Florida at all):

I guess it's just another way to get drugs at your local gas station (bad joke).

Tom Thumb with Kroger Pharmacy (Pensacola FL) by dirtyblueshirt, on Flickr
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"