Safeway Super S Locations

Moderator: Groceteria

socalgrocer

Safeway SuperS

Post by socalgrocer »

Any locations of Safeway's SuperS drugs in Southern California?

socalgrocer
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

The one that comes to mind immediately is up in Barstow; I know the Safeway there is now operating as Vons but not sure what the Super S is. (There's a photo of it in this site's 1960s Safeway section.)
Chris Sampang
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

TheStranger wrote:The one that comes to mind immediately is up in Barstow; I know the Safeway there is now operating as Vons but not sure what the Super S is. (There's a photo of it in this site's 1960s Safeway section.)
If this is the building I'm thinking of, it was vacant the last time I saw it. To the right, the DMV had an office years ago before moving it to another dying shopping plaza which had a K Mart (now an indoor swap meet).
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

javelin wrote:
TheStranger wrote:The one that comes to mind immediately is up in Barstow; I know the Safeway there is now operating as Vons but not sure what the Super S is. (There's a photo of it in this site's 1960s Safeway section.)
If this is the building I'm thinking of, it was vacant the last time I saw it. To the right, the DMV had an office years ago before moving it to another dying shopping plaza which had a K Mart (now an indoor swap meet).
There's a photo at Westcoastroads.com of the Vons sign along old Route 66 (now Business I-15); also, a friend of mine in the Antelope Valley reported the store being open recently as well, but with the 1960s facade replaced.
Chris Sampang
surfingdude
Contributor

Re: Safeway SuperS

Post by surfingdude »

socalgrocer wrote:Any locations of Safeway's SuperS drugs in Southern California?

socalgrocer
Safeway opened a supermarket with an adjacent Super S at Central Avenue and Loz Feliz Blvd. in Glendale in the mid 60's. I can't remember what happen to the drug side. If I remember, the drug store was closed sometime in the early 70's, but the supermnarket was aquired by Vons with the rest of the So. Cal stores in 1988. I believe the Vons is still operating.
shane
Contributor

Post by shane »

Does anybody remember a drugstore called Super S by Safeway. I remember going to a Super S in Banning Ca., and when was Super S bought by Thrifty's ?
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

shane wrote:Does anybody remember a drugstore called Super S by Safeway. I remember going to a Super S in Banning Ca., and when was Super S bought by Thrifty's ?
There are dozens of posts about Safeway Super S on the forum including several in this very thread. If you'll do a search, you'll find plenty of information.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

shane wrote:when was Super S bought by Thrifty's ?
A 1971 newspaper article about Super S's divesture says that they were sold to Pay N' Save at that time. Thrifty seems to have acquired many (I don't know when), though I'm pretty sure that not all became Thrifty after Pay N' Save. In the San Francisco bay area, at least a couple became Bill's Drugs, a small chain that was sold to Long's.