ALPHA BETA advertising campaigns

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

ALPHA BETA advertising campaigns

Post by Dean »

For years, ALPHA BETA's advertising campaign was TELL A FRIEND. The spokesman was Alan Hamel. He is married to Suzanne Somers. They were in the news this week...as their Malibu CA beachfront home was destroyed by fire.

Before the demise of ALPHA BETA...it was ALPHA BETA FAST...ALPHA BETA FRESH...ALPHA BETA FRIENDLY !

Can anyone recall any others?
ace51

Post by ace51 »

Remember...."Get The Edge"
dth1971
Contributor

ALPHA-BETA

Post by dth1971 »

"Tell a friend"

How about actor Alan Hamel as a spokesperson for Alpha-Beta in the 1970's?
dth1971
Contributor

Post by dth1971 »

Acme/Super Saver even used the Alpha-Beta "Get the Edge" and "Tell a Friend" slogans late 1970's-early 1980's.
Dean
Veteran

Re: ALPHA BETA advertising campaigns

Post by Dean »

Jason B.
Veteran

Post by Jason B. »

Someone has posted another Alpha Beta television commercial on YouTube - from the "Savings Don't Stop!" campaign. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCUY-F98vk
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

TELL A FRIEND/SAVINGS DON'T STOP paper sale commercial (funny how some of the items are listed as SKAGGS ALPHA BETA, yet, the commercial solely promotes ALPHA BETA):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbew8NpLBMQ
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

The Skaggs-AB brand was kept by American Stores until after 1988. I had a magarine tub (1989) and it said "Distributed by LKS Products". LKS was the distributing arm of the Lucky division of American Stores.

luckysaver
Jason B.
Veteran

Post by Jason B. »

Another Alpha Beta "Savings Don't Stop! ... Tell A Friend" television commercial from the early 1980s has been posted on YouTube. This one promotes a "fall pork festival":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL8wmXa2Xls
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

luckysaver wrote:The Skaggs-AB brand was kept by American Stores until after 1988. I had a magarine tub (1989) and it said "Distributed by LKS Products". LKS was the distributing arm of the Lucky division of American Stores.

luckysaver
How could this have happened? I thought that the government blocked the merger of AB and Lucky...so LKS would have never had the AB name. Correct?
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

I know that Skaggs Alpha Beta lived until at least 1992. That was the year they converted all AB stores outside of CA to Jewel/Osco. I lived in Texas at that time, and remember the conversion. It didn't last long, as all the converted stores were sold to Albertsons a little more than a year later. I know of a few stores that have had no less than four names on them (Skaggs-Albertsons, Skaggs Alpha Beta, Jewel-Osco, Albertsons).
Scott Greer
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Dean,

I may be wrong but I think certain S-AB products may have been briefly distributed by LKS for a short time. I also had a Harvest Day tub from LKS products.

For example, many Albertsons products had their labels recently reprinted from "Albertsons Inc Boise ID" to "Supervalu Inc Eden Prarie MN".

luckysaver
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Just came across a SKAGGS ALPHA BETA store-branded product.

The label says AMERICAN STORES BUYING COMPANY, with a Newport Beach CA post office box address.

This is the first I have seen with Newport Beach...as I thought they always said Salt Lake City UT.

Any ideas with the Newport Beach address?
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:Just came across a SKAGGS ALPHA BETA store-branded product.

The label says AMERICAN STORES BUYING COMPANY, with a Newport Beach CA post office box address.

This is the first I have seen with Newport Beach...as I thought they always said Salt Lake City UT.

Any ideas with the Newport Beach address?
Hey, just found the following, which seems to answer my question!

Headquarters move to Southern California

Based on a recommendation by Booz-Allen, American Stores relocated its corporate headquarters from Salt Lake City, Utah to Irvine, California in July 1988. At the time, the company indicated the reason for the move was to place the headquarters in one of the company’s major operating market areas and therefore closer to its business interests. However, the corporate headquarters was moved back to Salt Lake City, Utah in 1989 with little explanation.

They must've changed the address for the SHORT period of time!

Found this @

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Stores