Dec 2, 1957: Moroccan king visits Hollywood supermarket

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

runchadrun
Veteran

Dec 2, 1957: Moroccan king visits Hollywood supermarket

Post by runchadrun »

I saw this in the "this day in LA history" column in the LA Times today. I assume that the store he visited was the Safeway that's now a Ross.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... california
Dec. 2, 1957: In what The Times described as a "tornado-like tour of the city," King Mohamed V of Morocco swept through Los Angeles.

Despite visits to Lockheed, Beverly Hills, Paramount Studios and a dinner at the Biltmore Hotel, he seemed most captivated by an ordinary supermarket, The Times said.

The king spotted the market at La Brea Avenue and Sunset Boulevard, and insisted on stopping.

"Inside the supermarket, he caused ripples of excitement among customers and employees…. His Majesty evinced particular interest in the long rows of canned goods, fresh vegetables and packaged meats," The Times reported.

A spokesman told the newspaper, "He wanted to see how the American people shop. One of the miracles of America, in the minds of his people, is your supermarkets."
Barcelos
Contributor

Post by Barcelos »

It fits. The Ross you speak of is on 7060 West Sunset Blvd. just east of La Brea Avenue.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

if I'm not mistaken the Ross you are speaking of was a Safeway
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!