San Mateo, CA: Wingless Safeway

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

San Mateo, CA: Wingless Safeway

Post by TheStranger »

1970s photo, from the San Mateo Public Library, courtesy of the UC Calisphere search. Can't tell if it's marina or gable (this is side view, facing north)...

http://content.cdlib.org/dynaxml/data/1 ... e17098.jpg

Is this the Norfolk Street store? The photo is labeled as "looking up El Camino Real" and I almost wonder if this is the store that is still on El Camino, as a lifestyle unit.
Chris Sampang
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

This is the same location as the current Safeway at 1655 S El Camino Real. However, the original store was demolished and the current store built in 1983. I never saw the original store, so I don't know if it was a marina or a gable.
While we're on the subject of the former Norfolk st. store, that one I know was the exact same prototype as the 735 7th ave. San Francisco store.
Thanks for sharing this; I was wondering what the original Safeway on that site looked like!
justin karimzad
Veteran

Re: San Mateo, CA: Wingless Safeway

I just found out from my aunt today that this Safeway had a mosaic mural like the Marina, Millbrae, and, Carmel, and Santa Barbara Safeways. It depicted early California settlers, including Indians, like the others. She said "I don't have a picture though". I said "I'll take your word for it" :)
Bearhawke
Contributor

Re:

Post by Bearhawke »

justin karimzad wrote:This is the same location as the current Safeway at 1655 S El Camino Real. However, the original store was demolished and the current store built in 1983. I never saw the original store, so I don't know if it was a marina or a gable.
While we're on the subject of the former Norfolk st. store, that one I know was the exact same prototype as the 735 7th ave. San Francisco store.
Thanks for sharing this; I was wondering what the original Safeway on that site looked like!
Since I used to drive a taxi ca. 1979 in San Mateo: I should remember that Safeway but all I do is draw a blank. :(
Bearhawke in Arizona
justin karimzad
Veteran

Re: Re:

Bearhawke wrote:
justin karimzad wrote:This is the same location as the current Safeway at 1655 S El Camino Real. However, the original store was demolished and the current store built in 1983. I never saw the original store, so I don't know if it was a marina or a gable.
Since I used to drive a taxi ca. 1979 in San Mateo: I should remember that Safeway but all I do is draw a blank. :(
That happens to a lot of us, even if we've driven by something a bunch of times. But it was on the corner of 17th Ave & El Camino, kitty-corner from Borel Square shopping center and the Home Savings Of America bank.