A snippet of a 1976 Safeway circular

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

A snippet of a 1976 Safeway circular

Post by TheStranger »

Found this while doing some research at my university's library...it comes from page 19 of "California's Retail Industry: A Breakdown of Competition," written by the Assembly Office of Research for the California Legislature in May 1977.

The map and coupon from this ad are from a Sacramento (specifically, 95826 zip code) mailing around February-March of 1976, in the midst of a food price war. The location mentioned here is now a church; other circulars in the area listed two more locations that are also no longer supermarkets: the current Scandinavian Designs at 4301 Sunrise in Fair Oaks, and the 7923 Greenback Lane location in Citrus Heights (now Eddie Bauer) near Sunrise Mall.

I don't think I have seen a Safeway circular with a map quite like this one in my time...

larger: http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/csa/76sacad.gif
Chris Sampang
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

Re: A snippet of a 1976 Safeway circular

Post by Paper or Plastic »

TheStranger wrote: the current Scandinavian Designs at 4301 Sunrise in Fair Oaks, ...............

So, what brand was the grocery store ??
TheStranger
Veteran

Re: A snippet of a 1976 Safeway circular

Post by TheStranger »

Paper or Plastic wrote:
TheStranger wrote: the current Scandinavian Designs at 4301 Sunrise in Fair Oaks, ...............

So, what brand was the grocery store ??
All the locations mentioned were from 1976-era Safeway ads, according to the government document I scanned this one from.
Chris Sampang
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

interesting..... It ( the scandinavian desighns building ) dosen't look like a former safeway( to me) ... I have asked several older people in my extended family and they don't remember what it was.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Paper or Plastic wrote:interesting..... It ( the scandinavian desighns building ) dosen't look like a former safeway( to me) ... I have asked several older people in my extended family and they don't remember what it was.
I'm pretty sure all those locations came from Safeway's 1970s building phase, where flat boxy stores and shakeroof stores were the most common (with the Marina design winding down)...24th and Florin is another example from that era, I THINK that's shakeroof though I'm not sure which building it is, I haven't been to that intersection in a couple of years.

The store mentioned in this ad (Folsom/La Riviera), I have seen it several times passing by on the Sacramento RT light rail system, and it definitely looked like an ex-supermarket, but I never would have figured it to be Safeway. (The church that owns the building now probably remodeled it heavily, too.)

Only 1970s Safeway location I can think of that is still operating in Sacramento is the one on the site of the old Alhambra Theater. Much of Safeway's current Sacramento presence (especially in Natomas) is a product of late-1990s expansion...
Chris Sampang
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

The 4301 Sunrise location, according to the November 25, 1984 edition of the Sacramento Bee, was sold to The Homestore that year.
Purchase of the 24,000-square-foot structure it has been leasing at 4301 Sunrise Blvd. in Fair Oaks has been announced by The Homestore, a furniture business. Safeway Stores Inc. sold the structure for more than $500,000. Both the buyer and the seller were represented by Terry Johnson of Coldwell Banker Commercial Real Estate Services.
9249 Folsom, now the Christ Unity Church, was a Vic's as of the November 23, 1986 issue:
Vic's Market, grocery-supermarket, 27,600 square feet of retail space at 9249 Folsom Blvd.; negotiated by Jack Kasparian of Kasparian-Doukas Affiliation and Richard McCurdy of Potter, Taylor & Co.
It had become a place of worship by October 28, 1990:
Christian Church, fire repair, 9249 Folsom Blvd., $75,000.
Chris Sampang
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

super cool Hombre' ! $500,000 .... seems like such a bargain now !
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Going back to the Scandinavian Designs building (4301 Sunrise) mentioned earlier in this thread, Charles Hathaway and I scored photos of it a few weeks ago.

http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/foaks.htm

The stone facing on this building really, IMO, gives away its Safeway past.
Chris Sampang
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

I've never heard of "imitation mayonnaise" LOL
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!