Any old Stater Bros. Photos?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

StaterBahr

Any old Stater Bros. Photos?

Post by StaterBahr »

Does anyone have any old storefront or interior photos of ANY Stater Bros. Market, from any time period. I am attempting a collage of photos, and I have very few from before the 80's. thanks!
john

stater bros photos

Post by john »

I have some recent photos of the signage and an original building in Costa Mesa at http://www.flickr.com/photos/hungry_i/69899093/
The store at Fairview and Baker in Costa Mesa has on its wall a black and white photo of the original structure from late 60s
There may be some at LAPL archive. Have not checked there for this.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Any old Stater Bros. Photos?

Post by Dean »

Search online CRESTLINE COURIER.

Each week, this local paper runs pix from the past.

A time back...it had a beauty of an old pix of a STATERS in CRESTLINE. Building is still standing...currently a pawn shop. Had become WESTERN AUTO after STATERS.

Staters still has a full service site in Lake Arrowhead. Yet, the Crestline site predated the Lake Arrowhead site.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

I didn't know there was a store in Crestline. In the 1970s Lake Arrowhead Village was torn down (I think they actually burned it down) and replaced with the current shopping center, which included the Stater Bros. The designers did something very clever with that shopping center--they put the shopping for the locals on the upper level, including Staters, Thrifty, the post office, a bank, etc, while the lower level with access to the lake and tourist shops had a direct entrance from Highway 173. That mix has changed through the years. I worked in Arrowhead for 5 summers when I was in college and having things separated like that was very helpful.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

runchadrun wrote:I didn't know there was a store in Crestline. In the 1970s Lake Arrowhead Village was torn down (I think they actually burned it down) and replaced with the current shopping center, which included the Stater Bros. The designers did something very clever with that shopping center--they put the shopping for the locals on the upper level, including Staters, Thrifty, the post office, a bank, etc, while the lower level with access to the lake and tourist shops had a direct entrance from Highway 173. That mix has changed through the years. I worked in Arrowhead for 5 summers when I was in college and having things separated like that was very helpful.
Yup, Staters was in Crestline...believe in the 50s. Smaller/two-level building still standing.

Yes, the old "village" was burned as a training session for the firefighters.

At one point, the post office must've moved downstairs. It was there until Thrifty closed. The post office then assumed Thrifty's site. This is ideal, as it is next door to Staters.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Dean wrote:At one point, the post office must've moved downstairs. It was there until Thrifty closed. The post office then assumed Thrifty's site. This is ideal, as it is next door to Staters.
You're right...the post office was originally on the lower level.
enginecapt
Contributor

Post by enginecapt »

The Stater Bros in Fontana located at Valley Blvd and Sierra Ave is a classic sixties store on the outside, including the signage on the front of the store.
Help with Everyday Low Prices
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Advice:

Contact the Stater Bros corporate office (phone number at http://www.staterbros.com) and if they're nice, they might let you visit the office (now at the San Bernardino International Airport) and view some pictures.

The most unusual architecture is their roundish teardrop-like modular store called Staters Express (similar in operation style to the VONS on Catalina Island) at the Auto Club Speedway (formerly California Speedway) in Fontana, usually open when there is a NASCAR race in which Stater is a sponsor.

Also, several stores in my area share the same or similar external architecture (Stater Bros has a subsidiary called Stater Bros Development Inc that designs new stores and develops remodeling plans for existing stores), if the site was a Staters in its entire history. These stores include
- Amar and Valinda in West Covina (opened 1974)
- Colima and Fairway in Rowland Heights (opened circa 1980)
This was typical for most Staters stores from the 1970's.

luckysaver