Hickey Boulevard at El Camino, South San Francisco CA

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Hickey Boulevard at El Camino, South San Francisco CA

Post by Groceteria »

I don't really have a guess on this one...
robsster
Contributor

Hickey @ El Camino

Post by robsster »

That store was always an independent.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Thanks! That's probably why I was never able to peg it to a specifc chain...
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

I do remember it being called "Golden Bay Market" in the early 90s, and I think my parents told me back then it was "Hickey Market" before that.

I've always wondered if the Kelly Moore paint store was originally part of the supermarket space, what with the pylon and all.
Chris Sampang
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

This store was originally the independent Winston Super (hence the name Winston Plaza). It dates to January 1955, and originally had a pitched, wood plank ceiling that looked ahead of its time, in my opinion. The only evidence that remains of the original ceiling is in the Kelly Moore next door. And yes the supermarket used to take up that space too, and had a sign on the pylon.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

justin karimzad wrote:This store was originally the independent Winston Super (hence the name Winston Plaza). It dates to January 1955, and originally had a pitched, wood plank ceiling that looked ahead of its time, in my opinion. The only evidence that remains of the original ceiling is in the Kelly Moore next door. And yes the supermarket used to take up that space too, and had a sign on the pylon.
Thanks for the info!

I think the name "Winston Super" and "Winston Plaza" comes from the nearby Winston Manor neighborhood...
Chris Sampang