Hughes stores with dual entrances

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

runchadrun
Veteran

Hughes stores with dual entrances

Post by runchadrun »

I figured I would start a new thread about the Hughes stores with the dual entrances :)
Jeff wrote:Yep, its a rare market with an enternace in the front and the back. Hughes had another location like this in Pasadena in the Hastings Ranch Center (Rosemead and Foothill). This Hughes was converted to a Ralphs and the ralphs across the street was closed.
And the remaining store has gone through a complete remodel and expansion in the last year. It makes sense that they kept that store since it was much bigger than the one across the street.

The North Hollywood (Laurel Canyon and Victory, across the street from the infamous shootout Bank of America) and Mission Hills Hughes stores also have the dual entrances. I haven't been to the NoHo store in a while but the Mission Hills store is right down the street from me and hasn't been touched other than having the Hughes sign turn into a Ralphs sign. In fact, when Ralphs took over they originally announced that the Hughes signage would remain on the outside until the particular store was remodeled into the Ralphs format even though all the store brands were Ralphs and the employees wore Ralphs nametage. After a couple of months they changed their mind and switched the signs. It's a good thing too since there are several stores that have yet to be remodeled, several years on.

Some of the old Vons also have dual entrances, the one on La Tijera that David has pictures of on this site come to mind. There's a Ralphs that opened in 2001 that has a dual entrance, the Fresh Fare in Westwood. It uses part of the old Bullock's space and has the main entrance off of the parking lot and another entrance on Le Conte. There's only a bank of self-service checkouts on the Le Conte side and it's only open during certain hours.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Like I mentioned in that thread, the Albertsons in Monterey Park as well had dual front/back entrances. Another one came into mind, the old Johnsons market in East LA on Whittier. One entry was on Whittier Bl, and the other in the back parking lot. Most stores when they remodeled took out the dual entries.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

This is a question for those folks who are familiar with Hughes and QFC and have been in both stores. I know that for a short time, Hughes was the California division of QFC, based in Seattle. During the short time QFC owned Hughes, were any of the remodeled to look like QFC stores? I know that before Kroger bought QFC through it's Fred Meyer merger, the QFC signage inside of it's stores had a lot of cedar with blocky but curved lettering. The floors were kind of an earth tone too. So did Hughes have their own look or did they adopt some of the things from QFC?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I thought hughes was always family owned?

I remember them having a Blue / White interior scheme. really soft on the eyes and looked good till the end. I dont know if any Ralphs still have this interior design.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Hughes sold out to QFC a couple years before Fred Meyer bought them and Ralphs. I don't know if any of them changed decors (none of the ones I went to ever changed.)

I can name at least two stores that still have the classic Hughes interior: Mission Hills on Sepulveda north of Devonshire and Granada Hills on Zelzah and Chatsworth. The other Granada Hills Hughes, on Balboa and Devonshire, went through a complete remodel as a Ralphs. There may be reasons why those particular stores haven't been done. The Mission Hills store is across the street from one of the dumpiest Vons I know of--it still has the black and red interior--so it's not like they have to compete. And the unremodeled Granada Hills store is directly across the street from a newer Ralphs (I still haven't figured out why that is.)
turbocsx
Contributor

Dual Entrances

Post by turbocsx »

There is a Pathmark by me that has two entrances. One in the front, and one in the side. There is a ton of wasted space but the store is huge none the less.