Vintage interior in Washington Mutual ad

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Again with the Fox Markets! :-)

Food Fair bought Fox in 1963. The San Gabriel store was a Fox but a replacement store was built in 1965. The Pico Rivera and Bell Gardens stores also opened in 1965 and the Paramount store was built in 1966.

I have some display ads from Fox Markets that I'll email you separately so you can go over the list.
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

I had some spare time, unfortunately - again - at night. Still, I think this commercial was either filmed here or at another identically laid out store, if one should exist. (Hedging my bet!)

Magnified part of that view for a glimpse inside (which shows the produce area colors):

So when is this interior from, 1966 or a later remodel?
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

"Again with the Fox Markets! :-) "

Ooops...........sorry Chad........I know most are not interested.

:)

Thanks
The Food Fair Empire
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

J-Mac wrote:So when is this interior from, 1966 or a later remodel?
That interior was Mayfair's last 'standard' layout before the Gelson's management took over (Mayfair and Gelson's were owned by the same company since the mid 60's but were seperately managed until the early 90's).

I don't remember the exact years that interior sign package was used, but I would say it was use approximately from 1990-1998. The version before that was very similar with the colored stripes on the walls but with less wood paneling that was used throughout the 80's.
Barcelos
Contributor

Post by Barcelos »

Detective J-Mac strikes again. If the store wasn't such a long drive away, I'd sneak some pictures from the inside myself.
drubinoff

New video for Travis song "Closer" filmed in LA su

Post by drubinoff »

Hi,

The Scottish band Travis just recorded the video for their new song "Closer" in an LA-area supermarket. In one shot, the street number is visible: 2245. From the interior, it reminds me of a 1970s Safeway. Look up Travis and Closer on YouTube to see. Does anyone know what supermarket this is?

The video is rather endearing, and features Ben Stiller as the supermarket manager!

Theory: this is Super A Foods # 6, 2245 Yosemite Drive, Los Angeles
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

It sure does look like a Super A. It would make sense since this is in Eagle Rock, near a lot of studios in the Valley.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

The store at 2245 Yosemite is a former Mayfair. In the WaMu thread klkla mentioned that it was probably a Mayfair sign package, which would make sense for this store.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

This store was definitely a Mayfair. The sign package was installed by Mayfair about a year before they closed the store as part of a minor remodeling.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

In addition to the Travis video mentioned here, I also saw a commercial for Miracle Whip (I think) this morning that was filmed in a store with this same decor package. It may or may not have been the same one, but the entrance suggests that it was a different one.

Apparently, at least with respect to commercial shoots, nothing says "supermarket" like an old Mayfair Market.

greebs
Contributor

Post by greebs »

The Mayfair Market in the Travis video can also be seen in the movie "The Incredible Shrinking Woman" which i mentioned in another post. The Miracle Whip commercial looks like the same store, based on the tree in the first picture. (i still live in the area)
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Super A in Alhambra has the same interior package, btw.

Did Super A not remodel any of their stores over the last 20 years?!
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Jeff wrote:The Super A in Alhambra has the same interior package, btw.

Did Super A not remodel any of their stores over the last 20 years?!
Some of these stores are still leased by Mayfair Markets and then subleased to the current tenants. For some reason Mayfair remodeled some Super A stores after turning over the operations. I could never figure out why they would do this unless there was a contractual obligation to either the land owner or the new operator.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Re: New video for Travis song "Closer" filmed in LA su

Post by justin karimzad »

drubinoff wrote:Hi,
The Scottish band Travis just recorded the video for their new song "Closer" in an LA-area supermarket. this is Super A Foods # 6, 2245 Yosemite Drive, Los Angeles
Has anybody noticed if this supermarket has the same Muzak channel that Big Lots, Big 5, Save Mart, and some independents use? I ask this because Closer by Travis has since played over that background music channel, and that would be incredible.