West LA Marina Safeway to be closed in 2011

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

runchadrun
Veteran

West LA Marina Safeway to be closed in 2011

Post by runchadrun »

One of the last remaning Marina Safeways in LA, on Santa Monica and Barrington, is being torn down in 2011, to be replaced by a Pavilions a la the West Hollywood store. Rumor has it the Pavilions on Wilshire will then close.

Details at:
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2009/12/n ... _block.php
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: West LA Marina Safeway to be close in 2011

Post by Andrew T. »

Oh dear. About how many operational Safeway/Vons marina stores will Los Angeles be left with after this?

The exterior of this one looks a bit odd, with the Vons sign tacked above the blank Safeway panels...
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

There are still a lot out there, even though they are starting to disappear more and more.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

I love Marina stores as much as anyone but this is one case where the Marina store should die, though. That area is so densely populated... that old store just cannot serve the community to it's fullest potential as it is now. I've often wondered why they didn't do something like this years ago.

They just remodeled the marina near Echo Park so at least that one will be around for years to come and I think the marina in Mailibu is still open, too.
runchadrun
Veteran

Re: West LA Marina Safeway to be closed in 2011

Post by runchadrun »

There some more info on the Echo Park Lifestyle remodel and pics of the West LA store at http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=14871

I agree that the West LA store hasn't kept up with the neighborhood. You can tell it's been neglected, it's just too bad that there's not much that can be done on that lot to expand the store without tearing it down.