Crawfords Market

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

socalgrocer wrote:Has Crawford's always been in that French Quarter style since the '50's/'60's? I thought it was built like that in the 1990's.
As I posted above, it's been like that almost untouched since 1964.
scanman2
Contributor

Crawfords Market

Post by scanman2 »

WHich Crawfords are you referring to? The last one left in Norwalk?
scanman2
Contributor

Crawfords Market

Post by scanman2 »

The Crawfords that was at 5 points in El Monte was purchsed several years ago by Payless Foods and turned into a latino store called MI PUEBLO. I have not been by there in about 2 years but I understand they remodeled the store finally.
luckysaver
Veteran

Crawford's

Post by luckysaver »

Socalgrocer was referring to the Crawford's on Valley at New in Alhambra. Kroger's Real Estate Department owns the site and is leased to 168 Market (Chinese, owned by 99 Ranch Market). CVS (former Savon) operates at the other end. The other vintage item besides the building is the parking lot street lighting - original from the 1960's.

Five Points El Monte has a Food4Less. What was it before? The AJ Wright next door looks like a former Lucky or Market Basket.

luckysaver
scanman2
Contributor

Crawfords El Monte

Post by scanman2 »

The F4L is across the street from the old Crawfords (now Mi Pueblo). From speaking with salespersons in the grocery industry, the store was a very busy store in its hey day selling entire truck loads of bathroom tissue in 1 week. I was working for Payless Foods when they took over the Crawfords in December 2004. As far as I know the only Crawfords left is in Norwalk.
frank

Re: Crawfords Market

Post by frank »

I used to work for Crawford markets in montebello ca. 1959-1961, it was located on whittier blvd. the store had a supermarket
on one side of the isle and a department store on the other side. there was also 2 other Crawford stores one in el monte ca.
and another in monterey park. what happened to these stores? I can find no reference about them??
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

There was a Crawfords in Glendale that still retained it's exterior last time I was there but didn't check out the inside. Crawfords had a unique exterior style.
wildegurl

Post by wildegurl »

Hi ya'll

I grew up going to Crawford's Market on Valley Blvd in Alhambra and it was actually my first job. I was the first female "box boy" there.

Crawfords Markets was owned by a couple until they got divorced and split the chain in two. The husband got the El Monte store (and I think Montebello). The wife got Valley Blvd and a couple more, including Glendale. Eventually, her two sons took it over. Ray Crawford was a race car driver and his car was in Harrah's Auto Museum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Crawford

One of my funny memories: at some point, the mom bought 200 deck chairs from the Queen Elizabeth. They were in various stages of disrepair and lived in the attic of the grocery store. I always wondered what happened to those deck chairs.

The store in Alhambra was originally a "ranch style" market with an open air produce department. In the early 1960s, they built a new larger store with an old West theme. Jayne Mansfield was at the ribbon cutting. The store was the first to have specialty departments: a cheese department, gourmet foods, a meat department with butchers, etc. It was supposed to seem like you were shopping in small food boutiques. There was also an in-house cleaners, locksmith, etc. They had some craft supplies and a bit of clothing, but it really was a grocery store.

My step-father made all the signs and created all the displays for the stores - he ran the print shop which was located upstairs in the clock tower at the Alhambra store. My mother was his assistant. They also created the ads that were in the newspaper every week.

In about 1965, the Glendale store got a facelift and became 1890s New Orleans theme. Here is a pix of my mom at the opening - hoop slip and all.
Attachments
Grand opening of Crawford's Market in Glendale.
Grand opening of Crawford's Market in Glendale.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

wildegurl wrote:Hi ya'll...

I grew up going to Crawford's Market on Valley Blvd in Alhambra and it was actually my first job....
Thanks for the great post. I've always been interested in this little chain and it's good to hear form someone with first hand knowledge.