Mystery Shopping Bag store somewhere in OC

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

OCRedCub
Contributor

Mystery Shopping Bag store somewhere in OC

Post by OCRedCub »

Can anyone help figure out which location is pictured here?
http://ochistorical.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -more.html
Attachments
Courtesy Orange County Archives
Courtesy Orange County Archives
buckhead
Contributor

Re: Mystery Shopping Bag store somewhere in OC

Post by buckhead »

I can't offer any real help since I'm not familiar with the area and don't have access to local libraries, but if YOU do have such access to local research sources including city/real estate directories, it might be helpful to checkout the address for that restaurant which appears in the extreme right part of the photo. From the looks of the pumps at the filling station and the cars in the background, this looks to be no later than the early to mid-60's. As a point of reference, Standard Oil of California began using the Chevron name for gasoline branding in the 40's and phased out the Standard name on signage in its Western areas and the Southeast in 1971. Many stations continued to display the Standard name (especially in the Southeast) into the mid and late 70's. Off topic, but worth noting, AT LEAST ONE station in each of the various states where Chevron had the rights to use the Standard name for branding/marketing will still display the Standard name TODAY in some form in order to protect their rights/claims to the trademark, so go try to find the stations using the Standard name somewhere on their property in California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Florida...they're supposed to be out there somewhere.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Based on a live local view, I beleive this one is on Orangethorpe and Brookhurst in Fullerton.

I base this on a couple things.

- The orientation of the center, even though at one point part of it was torn down to build a bigger center.
- In that photo, there are vents on the upper section of a store. There are similar vents on a building in this center.
- The Standard station may be gone, but could it have moved across the street? There is a Chevron there today.

Take a look at it. I based this on the list of the three shopping bag locations in central OC at this time, two in Fullerton and one in Cypress.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

buckhead wrote:Off topic, but worth noting, AT LEAST ONE station in each of the various states where Chevron had the rights to use the Standard name for branding/marketing will still display the Standard name TODAY in some form in order to protect their rights/claims to the trademark, so go try to find the stations using the Standard name somewhere on their property in California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Florida...they're supposed to be out there somewhere.

Don't forget Michigan... There was an Amoco (pre-BP) on the corner of the M-39 service drive and Warren Ave. in Detroit that used the Amoco logo, but was labeled as a "Standard" on the signs overlooking the freeway.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

The pic is probably from about 1960. I see what looks like a Corvair, but everything else looks older. A lot of cars from 1955-59. The hopping center has aqua panels that were a definite 50s artifact. Chevron changed over to a winged design (Phillips 66 used a similar one) shortly after this time. they also started using stone facings.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I think I am correct.

One more thing, look at the Utility Lines behind the store with the vents. Those lines are still there in the Live Local shot.

So this is the store on Orangethorpe and Brookhurst.