other historical operations of Albertsons/American Stores

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

other historical operations of Albertsons/American Stores

Post by luckysaver »

What were the former locations of these Albertsons/American Stores banners in Southern California?

- Monte Mart (Albertsons)
- SuperSaver (American and Albertsons versions)
- Jewel T (21 stores, prior to American's takeover of Jewel Companies)

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Re: other historical operations of Albertsons/American Stores

Post by Jeff »

I remember going to the Jewel T as a kid. There was one located on Duarte Rd just east of Baldwin in Arcadia. For many years it was closed and not used, is now a chinese market. This was the only Jewel-T in this area to my knowldege, since I lived in Monterey Park and we used to go up there for it
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

There was a discussion about Jewel T at http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=97

The Arcadia store was also the only one I had ever been to. In 1988 I briefly lived about a block away but by then it had become a 99 Cents Only store.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

runchadrun wrote:There was a discussion about Jewel T at http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=97

The Arcadia store was also the only one I had ever been to. In 1988 I briefly lived about a block away but by then it had become a 99 Cents Only store.
It was a 99 cent only store for a short period too, when the 99 cent only store moved in down the street in the former Alpha-Beta.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Monte Mart had 4 stores as of the time of the Albertsons/ASC Merger:

Del Rey Oaks (divested to Ralphs, closed, now Safeway)
Salinas (divested to Ralphs, open, now FoodsCo)
Hanford (closed recently... apparantly opened in 1992)
Porterville (closed recently...)

Super Saver's ASC version had a few stores at the time of the merger:

Pittsburg 300 Atlantic Ave (divested to Ralphs, now FoodsCo)
Sacramento
-- Elkhorn (closed by 2001)
-- 2351 Northgate (divested to Ralphs, closed as FoodsCo in 2002)
-- Florin/Greenhaven (closed by 2003, now Nugget)
Woodland (closed in 2006, now La Superior)

Anaheim 255 South Euclid (closed)
National City 3007 Highland(closed)
Oceanside 3770 Mission Avenue (divested to Stater Bros.)
Indio 82-266 Highway 111(closed 2006)

As I understood it, Super Saver in NorCal was converted former Lucky Stores while the ones in SoCal were built from the ground up or opened new as Super Saver. I can definitely confirm that Anaheim was built from the ground up...

There were a few other Super Savers but they were closed or converted back to Lucky prior to the time of the merger, such as the location in Vacaville which was sold to Ralphs and has since closed.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Does anybody have a list of Skaggs-Albertsons locations in California? Based on some of the information I read from the Times archives for my research, these locations were actually Skaggs Payless Drug Centers that were about 70,000 square feet in size that has a 20,000 sq ft Albertsons Food Store inside. Other locations were side-by-side operations, like some Alpha Beta-HyLo Drugs.

luckysaver
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

There was an Albertsons/Payless combo location in Clovis, Ca (Seperate stores next door in a strip mall). The Payless Super Drug lasted until Rite Aid bought them and is currently divided into three shops while the Albertson's closed after a short time and became the independent Bad Boy Market. Bad Boy lasted until the early 1990's and sat vacant for about 6 years before becoming a furniture shop. After that folded it was gutted out and became a 99c Only store.

I suspect there was another Payless/Albertson's combo in Fresno near Blackstone And Shaw. If I am correct in my mapping, the Payless store again lasted until Rite Aid took over (This one had an odd layout where the garden shop was inside, but at the front of the store. You walked through that section, which was walled off from the rest of the store, to get to the main store.) and the Albertson's closed after a very short time and is currently a Ross Dress For Less. (If it became Ross immediately after Albertson's closed I couldn't say, but I do know it was Ross by 1985).
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

There was a Super Saver food too in East Los Angeles.

It was a former Lucky store that converted to a Super Saver. It closed before the merger with Albertsons, was closed for several years, and reopened a few years ago as an El Super.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

In 1969 Alpha Beta bought a small department store chain called Value Fair with locations in Santa Maria, Chino, Visalia, and Oceanside. Talk about a far-flung operation...