Unusual shaped Vons sign, 9119 Reseda Blvd, Northridge

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

runchadrun
Veteran

Unusual shaped Vons sign, 9119 Reseda Blvd, Northridge

Post by runchadrun »

This is the sign atop the Vons at the corner of Reseda and Nordhoff in Northridge. I've never seen another Vons sign of this shape before. The store was a Vons as early as 1963 and I thought I had seen that it opened as a Vons, but I can't find that documentation now. For me there are two possibilities: it was a different store that Vons bought, or Vons had a logo that I've never seen before to fit that shape. In a previous thread I posted that I thought this might have been a Pantry but that's probably not the case. I also thought it might have been a Shopping Bag, but there was a Shopping Bag up the street at Reseda and Devonshire.

In about 2003 they did a pre-Lifestyle remodel inside and out and changed the plastic front of the sign to the current one where the letters are a slightly different font and spaced closer together.

klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

This was a somewhat common sign shape for Vons for a couple of years. As far as I could tell they never retrofitted any older stores and used it for just a short time. The logo was different then. The 'V' was capitalized and huge with smaller 'ons' in a very plain font.
scanman2
Contributor

Re: Unusual shaped Vons sign, 9119 Reseda Blvd, Northridge

Post by scanman2 »

I believe this was possibly a Food Giant and then a Smith's Food King (when they were around the first time).
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

It looks like the sign for some of the older VONS in Las Vegas, except most of the older ones in Vegas were orginally Safeways, which I was told was the original maker of this sign shape...
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

It kind of looks like a Hughes Market sign.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

This store was definitely a Vons when it opened in 1963. Unless it changed hands and then became a Vons again, it was never any other store.
enginecapt
Contributor

Post by enginecapt »

That is the same style sign that the Capistrano Beach Vons (built ~1962) used to have. I recognize that from childhood.

That Vons is now a Stat's.
Help with Everyday Low Prices