Old Target (Fedmart) in Ontario s of I-10 at Mountain

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

scanman2
Contributor

Old Target (Fedmart) in Ontario s of I-10 at Mountain

Post by scanman2 »

Does anybody know the previous history of the old Target on Mountain in Ontario? I remember this as a Fedmart when I moved to Chino in 79. Target went in and divided the building and the left side was a Ralphs Giant, then a Ralphs, then a Food4Less. There is also an old Toys r Us in this center. This site has a very large 3 sided sign that can be seen from the freeway that almost looks like it might have been a Gemco but I'm not sure. I do know that Walmart wants to tear all the buildings down and make a supercenter but the old huffy people that live east of Mountain in that area say there will be too much traffic. At one time all 3 stores were open so I don't know what that's about.
surfingdude
Contributor

Post by surfingdude »

Gemco did not have a store in Ontario.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

This location was a Fed-Mart before it was a Target.

This Target "moved" to Montclair in 2003 to the old Montgomery Ward site on Central next to the mall.
RandallFlagg
Contributor

Post by RandallFlagg »

The store was originally a White Front. The arch and the entrance was about where the Target entrance was. To the left when you entered was the grocery. Straight ahead and to the right was the department store. The 3 sided sign is original to White Front [just like the one in San Bernardino on Orange Show]. It was then a Fedmart with the same layout. The tire store served both companies and I believe Target for a short period. It was a 4 day tire store after that and then I'm not sure. Yes, when Target first opened in California it had an automotive department. The one on Orange Show was still in operation when I was training there in 1986. I finished 2 week training and went to work at the LaVerne store where the building was built with a tire store, but bricked in for grand opening. If you could go in the east stock room the door openings were still there. From the outside it would be in front of the garden shop but not visible. When the Ontario Target opened it walled the grocery portion and Giant [Ralphs] opened. If my mind hasn't failed me the Ontario store was designated T-186.
RandallFlagg
Contributor

Post by RandallFlagg »

One other thing I just remembered was that Jack's keys had a free standing building under the arch. Looking up Jack's keys Ontario on google shows they are still in business and have been since 55. I don't live in the area, but maybe someone could swing by there and see if they have any old pics.
scanman2
Contributor

Old Target Mountain Ave Ontario

Post by scanman2 »

Yes Jacks keys is still there sitting all by itself. The shopping center is fenced off and is a nasty eyesore. The fence has been compromised several times and last time I drove by there were shopping cart people camping out there. Was the Toys r Us always there or was that building something else? That Toys r US was busy even though it was old and run down. They never remodeled it and it had the very old Toys r Us logo with the old Jeffry picture.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Now that I look at it, that was a very small Giant by Ralphs, and later a very small food 4 less.
scanman2
Contributor

Ralphs Giant Mountain Ave Ontario

Post by scanman2 »

The Ralphs Giant on Mountain in Ontario was deeper than it was wider. The checkstands faced south and ran east to west near the front even though the doors faced east. It was a strange store and definitely was a smaller giant in comparison to the others like the one that was on Holt and Indian Hill in Pomona which was a Zodys. I also worked near a Ralphs Giant in Lynwood on Imperial Hwy near Atlantic that was a former Zodys and very large.
RandallFlagg
Contributor

Post by RandallFlagg »

The Toys R Us was original to the building as far as I can remember. It has the same design as the closed store by Inland Center Mall in San Bernardino.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Did this Food 4 Less / Giant / Ralphs have a Ziggy's Bakery and Deli section?
scanman2
Contributor

Ralphs Giant Mountain & 10 fwy

Post by scanman2 »

I remember that the store had a beautiful bakery and service deli but I honestly don't remember it being called Ziggys Bakery and Deli.