Hollywood Alpha Beta & Savon to be replaced by Target

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

runchadrun
Veteran

Hollywood Alpha Beta & Savon to be replaced by Target

Post by runchadrun »

The shopping center at the corner of Sunset and Western in East Hollywood are slated for demolition and replacement with a new Target store. The grocery store is a former Alpha Beta and there's a former Savon next door. Except for the oval sign in the parking lot, all traces of its Alpha Betaness have been removed from the exterior. It almost looks like a Market Basket exterior. This shopping center is across the street from Food4Less (former Zody's).

I've seen that Savon prototype before--the one that comes to mind is the one at the corner of Verdugo and Hollywood Way in Burbank that also had an Alpha Beta (now a heavily remodeled Albertsons) in the same center.

Here's a link on Curbed LA with renderings (and comments from yours truly)
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2007/10/b ... _is_th.php

View of the shopping center:
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... &encType=1
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

For a minute, I saw the article on curbed and thought it was the former Zody's that was going to be torn down.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Jeff wrote:For a minute, I saw the article on curbed and thought it was the former Zody's that was going to be torn down.
So did the Curbed people (and so did I)... They posted an update just as I was about to post about the Zody's. I can't imagine that independent market can compete very well with the F4L next door and the new Ralphs at Hollywood and Western. I wonder if CVS is looking to relocate since there are no other CVS stores in the immediate area.

And as I posted on Curbed, I wonder if the OSH's days are numbered with Home Depot across the street (though I personally prefer shopping at OSH over HD).
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

There's a Walgreens across the street from the F4L on sunset/western. So there really isn't a need for the CVS....
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!