Alpha Beta in Palm Springs

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

klkla
Veteran

Alpha Beta in Palm Springs

Post by klkla »

I was looking at this photo in the Alpha Beta photo gallery:

It's listed as 'unidentified' but is the Alpha Beta in Palm Springs, CA. Ralphs took over this store and wanted to tear it down and build a larger store on the property. There was a lot of community opposition because a lot of people wanted to maintain that architectural integrity of the neighborhood.

Does anyone out there know what ever became of this location? I haven't been out to the Palm Springs area for a couple of years.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

It was supposedly demolished in 2002. The Palm Springs Modern Committee tried in vain to save it, especially since Albert Frey was the co-designer. Not sure if this link will work here;
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:lTe ... cd=2&gl=us
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

It's a shame that the Alpha Beta was torn down but all is not lost. The shopping center that replaced the store has been done in a 21st century interpretation of the classic Palm Springs variation of the Mid-Century Modern (MCM) style with features similar to the chevron overhangs you see in front of the Alpha Beta. The entrance to CVS is an homage to the famous gas station at the entrance to town.

I was there over Memorial Day and thought it was done very well, much better than the faux adobe shopping center across the street. My partner didn't share my enthusiasm about how cool it was but he doesn't like MCM anyway :)

Here's the shopping center today:
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... &encType=1
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

Did they convert it into a Ralphs Fresh Fare after the reconstruction?
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

No, it is not a Fresh Fare...............it's a Marketplace. It's at the corner of Sunrise and Ramon.

Also, the CVS was formerly a Savon.

There is a Ralphs (formerly a Vons) at Smoketree Shopping Center (Sunrise and Palm Canyon) that is being remodeled into a Fresh Fare. This store is about 1.5 miles away from the MCM store mentioned above.

BTW...the center across from the Marketplace Ralphs is more "territorial" than "adobe" in design. BUT.......I see the mix ;)
The Food Fair Empire