storewanderer
Veteran

Corti Brothers, Sacramento, CA

Post by storewanderer »

Any comments?
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

All I know is that the Corti Brothers opened their market in 1947, and it may or may not have been the store that exists today at 5810 Folsom Blvd. This store is pretty original, and still has the old aisle markers.
gmjim

Post by gmjim »

My dad lived in Sacremento when I was a kid back in the 1970s and I remember going to a Corti Brothers. I think it was near the old Sacremento airport that at the time was used only for small planes. I still remember the store had a lot of brick on the interior and a wine cellar. I believe that at that time my dad telling me that there were at least 2 Corti Brothers stores in Sacremento.
storewanderer
Veteran

Corti Brothers

Post by storewanderer »

The exterior to me is a fooler; looks like a good knockoff of a 1950's Safeway with a shorter sign. The doors are even placed in a similar way with one on the front and one on the side. Same type of interior with fewer, deeper aisles.

With how often I visit this store (about once a month), I should have shot a picture by now.

I find it ironic for a store with such a basic, dated interior to be one of the most upscale (in terms of pricing, service, and merchandise mix), gourmet grocery operations in all of Sacramento. They have mainained their store very well though.

On a side note, the refrigerated rigatoni labeled as "Kitchen" is excellent. Okay, so that was way off topic.

Corti Brothers did have one other store that I know of, on Arden, in or near Fair Oaks. It was a Wild Oats around 1997, then became Picadilly Circus when Wild Oats exited NorCal, then became Boney's (same owner as PC, trying to revive the stores with a different name), but closed about a year and a half ago shortly after the name change.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Corti Brothers

Post by Groceteria »

storewanderer wrote:With how often I visit this store (about once a month), I should have shot a picture by now.
I've got one, although it's not very good:

storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

It appears this was another location of theirs. It also appears that parts of some high school movie were shot there. See links to piece together more data.

http://jowagi.com/9Items/9Items.html

http://jowagiproductions.com/cortibros.html
robsster
Contributor

Post by robsster »

Corti had a market in the Arden Fair Mall adjacent to a 60's era "Food Circus" and a T-Drugs. I believe the entire building was demolished and a Max's Opera Cafe and movie theatre occupy the area that housed the above businesses.
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

Post by Paper or Plastic »

robsster wrote:Corti had a market in the Arden Fair Mall adjacent to a 60's era "Food Circus" and a T-Drugs. I believe the entire building was demolished and a Max's Opera Cafe and movie theatre occupy the area that housed the above businesses.
Max's Opera Cafe' has been gone for a couple of years now.
JohnTodd

Post by JohnTodd »

robsster wrote:Corti had a market in the Arden Fair Mall adjacent to a 60's era "Food Circus" and a T-Drugs. I believe the entire building was demolished and a Max's Opera Cafe and movie theatre occupy the area that housed the above businesses.
Not demolished, just renovated. If I remember corectly, there was a Thrifty Drug where the Barnes and Noble is now. Food Circus occupied the central space where the food court is now, and Corti Brothers occupied the east side of the building.

We've talked a little about the old Arden Fair mall at Flickr.com and at myriolinda.com. Sure was a great place to grow up.
J-Man
Veteran

Old Airport Area

Post by J-Man »

I believe the location mentioned as being near the old airport was at Freeport and Fruitridge, in the same shopping center with the ill-fated Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor where 22 people were killed by a plane crashing into the building in 1972.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

I just got another photo of this by chance while stopped at the stop light: Looks like the light turned green while I took the picture.

Also found an unremodeled Payless down on Florin that Rite Aid appears to have forgotten exists. http://www.flickr.com/photos/85812748@N ... 12748@N00/[/url]
martyk
Contributor

Post by martyk »

My Uncle used to work at this store, and my Dad used to deliver vegetables to the store (we had a farm), so I got to go in the back area a lot as a kid.

I think (I'll have to ask my uncle for verification) that before Corti Bros, this was a Giant Foods store.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

I wonder if the aisle hangers are original and may even predate the place's time as Corti...

http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores/sac.htm
Chris Sampang
wulfgar64
Contributor

Re: Corti Brothers, Sacramento, CA

Post by wulfgar64 »

Yes, the Corti Brothers on Freeport Bl south of Fruitridge Rd is in the same locale as the infamous jet fighter crash into the Farrell's ice cream parlor. That was big news back then and probably why not much other than Corti Bros survived in the Crossroads mall over the years.