PAK'N SAVE FOODS

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

I forgot to mention that. The Pak N Saves no longer do that "two pack" milk promo like the Safeways do.

So basically, for Dairy Glen milk, you will pay 2.99/gallon at PNS but at a normal Safeway you'd get two gallons for around 3.59-4.29 depending on what the milkfat content is.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, in CA, all stores sell a generic brand of milk in addition to the normal store brand and have a price for two gallons which is usually equal to or .20 or so above the minimum price the state allows them to charge. Lucky started this in the 80's.

Really the format of a warehouse store where you bag it yourself needs to go by the wayside. Wal Mart Supercenters provide more service than these warehouse stores do, with lower prices (or at least the perception). It sounds to me like Shoppers' in DC has evolved correctly for survival.

For the others like WinCo, FoodsCo, Food4Less, and Food Maxx, I think changes need to be made. In some cases, major changes.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

mfricke wrote:The Vons in Chino on Central and the 60 Freeway was converted to a Pak n' Save in 1999, and closed in 2005.
http://local.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.pp4 ... d%20States___

lettering font on front is very different from the Pak N Save in South San Francisco (which is pictured on my site)...

It is now Superior Super Market:
http://www.superiorwarehouse.com/locations.aspx
Chris Sampang
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

steps wrote:the pak n' save chain was owned by the Vons Companies till Safeway bought them out. And what came with the buy out was the Vons stores, Pavilions stores, and Pak N Save stores. Vons "invented" the chain to compete in the "low end" market ( e.g. food 4 less). it was a spin off from the Vons Company since at one point the Vons Company had a chain in each "class". Vons your standard grocery store, Pavilions your up scale supermarket, Tanigius there "ethnic" store, and Pak N Save there wherehouse stores, which id ont see around as much...a life style format wouldnt fit in that branch... since its meant to be low end.... a nice remodel but yet still bagging your own groceries...? .....Safeway is just ruining its stores that they bought out which sucks as ive said many times before....hope this helps
I think you might be thinking of EXPO stores. Vons used to operate four brands and the EXPO stores were the warehouse format.

Safeway also operated Pak N Save stores in Florida but closed them after the KKR buyout. They also operated one Pak N Save that I know of in Southern California but that store was opened by Safeway after the buyout.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

How did Safeway supply Pak N Saves in FL?

I find it interesting that sometimes CA retailers want to go do business in FL yet have little else in the south or east.

Smart & Final had some stores in FL maybe 5 years ago, but has since closed or sold them.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote:How did Safeway supply Pak N Saves in FL?
If I remember right they used a wholesale cooperative. There weren't very many stores, probably around a dozen and they had barely entered the market and ended up backing right out.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

This photo and sign looks like it's from a SoCal PNS, though I'm not so sure when or where it was taken:

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/ ... CF0552.jpg
Chris Sampang
romleys
Veteran

Australia Pak n Save

Post by romleys »

There is a large supermarket chain under the Pak n Save name in Austrailia. There colors are yellow and black which tells me that the photo above is clearly one from Australia. I highly doubt that there is any relation to this chain and the Safeway Pak n Save chain.
Charles H:)
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

klkla wrote:
steps wrote:the pak n' save chain was owned by the Vons Companies till Safeway bought them out. And what came with the buy out was the Vons stores, Pavilions stores, and Pak N Save stores. Vons "invented" the chain to compete in the "low end" market ( e.g. food 4 less). it was a spin off from the Vons Company since at one point the Vons Company had a chain in each "class". Vons your standard grocery store, Pavilions your up scale supermarket, Tanigius there "ethnic" store, and Pak N Save there wherehouse stores, which id ont see around as much...a life style format wouldnt fit in that branch... since its meant to be low end.... a nice remodel but yet still bagging your own groceries...? .....Safeway is just ruining its stores that they bought out which sucks as ive said many times before....hope this helps
I think you might be thinking of EXPO stores. Vons used to operate four brands and the EXPO stores were the warehouse format.

Safeway also operated Pak N Save stores in Florida but closed them after the KKR buyout. They also operated one Pak N Save that I know of in Southern California but that store was opened by Safeway after the buyout.
i guess what threw me off was the fact that the Vons stores have those huge signs in the break room saying "VONS Pavilions Pak N' Save" u know what i mean...?
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Jason B.
Veteran

Pak 'n Save-Dublin, Calif. & TV Commercials

Post by Jason B. »

Pak 'n Save operated a store in Dublin, Calif. from the mid-1980s to the early 2000s. It was located in a former K-Mart in a shopping center at the northwest corner of Dublin Boulevard and Dougherty Road.

In the late 1980s, the Dublin Pak 'n Save was a "discount warehouse" type of operation. The connection to the Safeway chain was not readily apparent. It had many "bulk foods" items in its inventory; customers loaded nuts, trail mix, cookies, etc. into plastic bags and purchased them by the pound. Beer was chilled in a large cold room at the back of the store; the entrance was prominently marked with a sign which essentially said "no sales of alcoholic beverages between 2 and 6 a.m." It felt like a miniature Costco without a membership requirement.

I visited the same location in early 2001. Although it was still called "Pak 'n Save," it seemed like a Safeway transplanted into a warehouse setting. It no longer seemed like a "discount warehouse" store. The Dublin "Pak 'n Save" closed in 2001 or 2002 after Safeway stores opened near Dublin Blvd./I-680 and in the Waterford Center at the northwest corner of Dublin Blvd./Tassajara Road. The Pak 'n Save shopping center has been demolished; a high-density residential project is under construction on the site as of December 2006.

Pak 'n Save TV Commercials:
In the late 1980s, Pak 'n Save TV ads included a sung slogan, "It's a whole new way of shopping ... Pak 'n Save!"

In the early 1990s, Pak 'n Save ads included a spoken slogan, "You can't GET groceries for less!" (unusual emphasis on "get")
MBZ321
Contributor

Post by MBZ321 »

TheStranger wrote:This photo and sign looks like it's from a SoCal PNS, though I'm not so sure when or where it was taken:

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/ ... CF0552.jpg
Actually, that looks more like an Australian store judging from the licence plate format on the car in the lot.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

MBZ321 wrote:Actually, that looks more like an Australian store judging from the licence plate format on the car in the lot.
New Zealand, actually:

http://www.paknsave.co.nz/splash.aspx
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Stockton, CA had a PaknSave from 1986-1998. In 1986, PaknSave opened in the former Zody's building (shades of Fresno?) where they remained until 1993, when they moved about 2 miles south of their location to replace a very upscale Safeway Store with PaknSave. 5 years later, Safeway sold the PaknSave store to Save Mart in 1998 which converted the store to its own brand of warehouse stores called "Food Maxx". Funny as Save Mart also operates a regular supermarket across the street as "S-Mart Foods" (former Lucky's).That stretch of East March Lane has a total of 3 Warehouse Groceries (Food Maxx, Food 4 Less and Winco Foods), 1 Full Service Supermarket (S-Mart Foods) and a " Dented Canned Foods/Out Of Date but still good Foods" store called "Curry's Warehouse".
reymann
Contributor

Post by reymann »

I have a feeling that Safeway will end up selling off Pak n' Save in the future. The remaining Pak n' Save stores will probably end up being Food Maxx. It seems like Safeway has no real interest in Warehouse-Style grocery store. It would be best for them to sell them off to S-Mart foods and they would be more profitable as Food Maxx. I'm curious to see if S-Mart might reopen the old Super Saver in Woodland. I think it would do real good as a Food Maxx. It's a shame that Safeway is letting Pak n' Save go to waste.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

reymann wrote:I have a feeling that Safeway will end up selling off Pak n' Save in the future. The remaining Pak n' Save stores will probably end up being Food Maxx. It seems like Safeway has no real interest in Warehouse-Style grocery store.
Well, the Pak 'n Save in South San Francisco is Safeway in all but name, so while they may have no interest in running a warehouse style store, they certainly seem to want to at least keep them in the Safeway fold.
Chris Sampang
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

The Pak N Saves are on a lower-wage union contract with different (lower overhead) terms than a normal Safeway. While you will not see the format grow in any great way in the near future, it will keep existing. They are a Safeway where you bag your own groceries. Nothing more, nothing less (with the same prices). They have also remodeled a few over the past couple of years (South San Francisco and Sunnyvale) however note that San Jose was also somewhat recently remodeled and was closed last summer so a remodel may not mean much.

The Woodland Super Saver has been purchased by La Superior. There was a fire in the building a couple months ago so I don't know exactly what its condition is.

The only closed Albertsons locations that Save Mart purchased were in Brentwood and in Concord (Monument Blvd). I drove by both Monument and Brentwood last week and both still had for lease signs up, so things must not be finalized yet.

I also suspect sometime in the future Safeway will get a "revived" interest in Pak N Save and run it properly and perhaps expand it somewhat, particularly to locations where the lifestyle store doesn't make sense.

I don't really think PNS is going to waste right now, rather, it is in a holding pattern and no effort is being put forth on it. Similar to Pavilions from about 1999-2003 or so in SoCal, but since they have revived interest in the format, opened some new stores, etc.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/