San Jose Albertsons uproar all over news today

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

storeliker
Contributor

San Jose Albertsons uproar all over news today

Post by storeliker »

Only Albertsons in downtown San Jose is closing. I heard it on cbs radio loop today and also on the ABC morning news. People interviewed were unhappy. Like Bell and Cala they served a specific neighborhood where there are no stores in area. OOne guy they interviewed said it was always busy there even though in press statement Albertsons said poor performance. Another lady said "First Woolworths' now this" Weird that that was big news of today in Bay Area. Store was pretty neat necause it was smaller and older. No more grocery in the immediate downtown San Jose area now according to the press.
me
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

That was a very interesting store, a former Lucky. The interior remodel was a little different from the standard Lucky package of the 1990s; I think they may have remodeled it as a prototype test for stores which would serve a more ethinic clientele. It was more colorful, with more wall graphics, etc. Based on its location and the fact that it was obviously a 1960s era store, I often wondered if it had originally been some sort of subsidized urban renewal type scenario.
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

That sucks; I had just discovered this store on a recent visit back to the bay area. It opened about May 1966 on the site of a former used car dealership (which was demolished to make way for the store). This location was a replacement for a much older store down the block at the time.
storeliker
Contributor

Slow news day

Post by storeliker »

Saw story again on NBC news so made all three networks. They said there are really only two other stores in the immediate downtown area, non chain stores that catered to the upper class. Piece NBC had said that it was suprising since so many hi rise condos are being built downtown. Also NBC said that it would not allow TV cameras in store or interviews of any employees but did say that 47 employees that worked there would be transfered and no job loss. Is 47 people normal to run a grocery store? It seems small but as I remember store was too. Sad to see these smaller Kroger affliates and Albertsons closing down in favor of bigger stores. Will misss the nostalgia of these early and mid sixties stores. It closes in Febuaury so get your pics if your down that way. Would love to see interior pics of some of the stores down there before they go Lifestyle or close.
me
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Story from the San Jose Mercury News:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 641200.htm