CompUSA Culver City

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

steps
Veteran

CompUSA Culver City

Post by steps »

Hey Guys! It's been awhile since ive been on here! I was passing by the CompUSA in culver city today on Jefferson and noticed how much it looks like a super market. Me being semi curious, I went around back to see if it had a loading dock (a good way to tell if an old store used to be a super market!) and I did find a loading dock. I don't believe CompUSA ever has used this area in back of the store. Does anyone know what store this used to be???

Thanks!
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

It was the Jefferson Bowl bowling alley. There were a few proposals over the years to build 10+ story office buildings there but they were always rejected by the city and the high rises got built in the Corporate Pointe area instead.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Big Lots close by to that CompUSA was a Market Basket, as said in multiple threads.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Jeff wrote:The Big Lots close by to that CompUSA was a Market Basket, as said in multiple threads.
Actually it was a Mayfair. The Ralphs in Culver Center was a Market Basket.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

runchadrun wrote:
Jeff wrote:The Big Lots close by to that CompUSA was a Market Basket, as said in multiple threads.
Actually it was a Mayfair. The Ralphs in Culver Center was a Market Basket.
Sorry. that's what I meant.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Deleted off-topic posts about CompUSA's current operations. However, please feel free to continue discussions about the supermarket history of this location.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

hmmm...so does anyone else know of this location being a former super market. It fits everything a supermarket would need to operate.
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

steps wrote:hmmm...so does anyone else know of this location being a former super market. It fits everything a supermarket would need to operate.
I doubt it ever was a former supermarket. It opened in 1957 as the Jefferson Bowl and I couldn't find any reference to a supermarket being at that location before 1957. It closed in the mid-80s. As David mentioned in http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1134 , the architectural requirements of supermarkets and bowling alleys are similar but there are very few conversions from one to other.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

runchadrun wrote:
steps wrote:hmmm...so does anyone else know of this location being a former super market. It fits everything a supermarket would need to operate.
I doubt it ever was a former supermarket. It opened in 1957 as the Jefferson Bowl and I couldn't find any reference to a supermarket being at that location before 1957. It closed in the mid-80s. As David mentioned in http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1134 , the architectural requirements of supermarkets and bowling alleys are similar but there are very few conversions from one to other.
only a few have been transformed from Bowling alley to supermarket. Case in point, the old bowling alley in Montebello on Via Campo that was turned into a Ranch 99 market. It has been empty since the market closed in the early - mid 90's.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

In Palm Springs there is a Vons on Tahquitz Canyon Bl. that was originally a bowling alley.

It will close in about a year when the store is relocated to nearby Sunrise Way (Palm Springs).
The Food Fair Empire
Tortuga One
Contributor

Jefferson Bowl Comp USA

Post by Tortuga One »

The Culver City Caifornia, Comp U.S.A. store is in a strip mall with several other retail stores. The strip mall replaced the demolished Jefferson Bowl building several years ago. The Comp U.S.A. store portion/section in the strip mall complex was never a supermarket.