Hacienda Heights Pantry/Vons/Pavilions/Whatever

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Pantry market in Hacienda Heights opened in the late 70's and was converted to a Vons market. It has since closed and is now a 99 Ranch Market.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:The Pantry market in Hacienda Heights opened in the late 70's and was converted to a Vons market. It has since closed and is now a 99 Ranch Market.
The Hacienda Heights site was originally opened as a VONS. It was converted to The Pantry when VONS acquired The Pantry chain. I believe it was converted BACK to a VONS before it became a 99 Ranch Market. This VONS had a hard time competing with the Albertsons that was built across the street.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Dean wrote:
Jeff wrote:The Pantry market in Hacienda Heights opened in the late 70's and was converted to a Vons market. It has since closed and is now a 99 Ranch Market.
The Hacienda Heights site was originally opened as a VONS. It was converted to The Pantry when VONS acquired The Pantry chain. I believe it was converted BACK to a VONS before it became a 99 Ranch Market. This VONS had a hard time competing with the Albertsons that was built across the street.
Vons never convereted any stores to the Pantry name. They bought some of the Pantry locations and converted them to Vons or Pavilions.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

klkla wrote:
Dean wrote:
Vons never convereted any stores to the Pantry name. They bought some of the Pantry locations and converted them to Vons or Pavilions.
I beg to differ...yet I remember when the store originally opened as VONS, and I distinctly remember this site being converted to The Pantry. The LONGS in that same center is now divided into smaller shops.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Dean wrote:I beg to differ...yet I remember when the store originally opened as VONS, and I distinctly remember this site being converted to The Pantry. The LONGS in that same center is now divided into smaller shops.
It may well have been opened as a Vons and converted to a Pantry but NOT by Vons. Pantry was owned by Cullum Companies in Dallas (which also owned Tom Thumb at the time). Vons later bought some of the locations from them and converted them to their own banners.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

klkla wrote:
Dean wrote:I beg to differ...yet I remember when the store originally opened as VONS, and I distinctly remember this site being converted to The Pantry. The LONGS in that same center is now divided into smaller shops.
It may well have been opened as a Vons and converted to a Pantry but NOT by Vons. Pantry was owned by Cullum Companies in Dallas (which also owned Tom Thumb at the time). Vons later bought some of the locations from them and converted them to their own banners.
I really don't want to beat this dead horse...but I drove by this site recently...and remember it being converted to THE PANTRY...by VONS. I am hoping someone else remembers this!

I also want to say that VONS added THE PANTRY to the side of their trucks...when they added Pavillions, TIANGUIS, and Williams Brothers names/logos.
socalgrocer

Hacienda Heights Vons/99 Ranch Market

Post by socalgrocer »

Dean wrote:
I beg to differ...yet I remember when the store originally opened as VONS, and I distinctly remember this site being converted to The Pantry. The LONGS in that same center is now divided into smaller shops.

This 99 is much smaller and does not have a lot of customers. No evidence of VONS decor. And yes, Pantry was a banner that VONS bought but VONS operated it for a short time before closing/converting the sites.
The smaller shops that Dean wrote above is mostly a chinese restaurant in the middle and other smaller shops on the wings.

Socalgrocer
Dean
Veteran

Re: Hacienda Heights Pantry/Vons/Pavilions/Whatever

Post by Dean »

Went into this site recently. I believe that the freezer cases are those left from the VONS era.

El Torrito in the center opened as QUE PASA. The former Coco's is now a Chinese restaurant.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Dean,

Did you notice that West Coast Seafood Buffet now sits in the space that was Longs Drugs?

The only "American" businesses at the 99 (Hacienda Center) is the Mobil/Coffee Aroma and the Bank of America branch.

By the way, a peek into the LA Times Archives reveals that the Bixby Center (Albertsons-Savon) across the street was owned and developed by one of the largest industrial landowners in Southern California of the early 1970's - Fred Bixby. He owned the land and developed the industrial park that contains the McDonalds film studio (your earlier post) <hence the street off Gale called Bixby Drive>. The portion of Schabarum County Park (Otterbein State Park in Bixby's period) south of the dead end of Azusa Ave was donated by Mr Bixby.

on a related area history note...

On Colima Road just east of the 99, the shopping center anchored by Michael's and Big 5 belonged to a horse race gambling association, which maintained a horse ranch at that property (including the Pheasant Ridge Apartments and the nursery at Larkvane). As Puente Hills Mall was being built and LA County was converting 5th Ave to Colima Road, the association opposed their land being annexed by City of Industry for use as a shopping district. They filed a lawsuit (circa 1974-5) and ended up settling with the county and the city, eventually giving up the land and the shopping center along with the park and a housing tract were built. The shopping center is technically City of Industry while the county area (Rowland Heights) has the apartments, nursery, the park, and the housing tract off Albatross.

luckysaver
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Been trying to remember and/or find the movie that shows this shopping center.

It has some kids riding bikes or something...in the homes on the hill above Colima...and you get a clear shot of the center...specifically the SUMITOMO BANK that was the original bank on the edge of the center...next to Colima.

Thought it was E.T...yet, checked, and it was not.

Not BACK TO THE FUTURE...which was filmed across the street @ the Puente Hills Mall.

Anyone recall which movie it could've been?!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Dean, try this. It would totally make sense:

Trivia for
Mac and Me (1988) More at IMDbPro »
advertisement

* The scenes of Mac running from the backyard into the hills were filmed in Hacienda Heights, California.

* Coca Cola and McDonalds backed the movie, thus the numerous references to both of those products.

* This film ends with a freeze frame and the superimposed title "We'll be back!" But it proved to be such a dismal box office failure that its proposed sequel never got made.

* The scenes in the McDonalds were all shot in City of Industry in California (just outside Los Angeles). The set was an actual McDonalds that was built specifically for filming television commercials and for crew member training. It has never been open to the public! When McDonalds (or movies, etc.) isn't using the location for filming, it is locked up behind a chain link fence. Everything works in the restaurant, but from its construction until it was torn down it never served a single paying customer.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNjACYfQlbI
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

More proof:

Watching the Ending on youtube, they catch the 60 freeway west from Azusa Ave.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Absolutely killing me Jeff!

Yes, that has got to be it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095560/trivia

No wonder I was thinking of E.T., as Mac & Me appears to be a knock-off of E.T.

Believe I just caught a snippet of it on TV a time back...especially the scenes I mentioned.

The trailer, listed above, showed the boys breaking through the fence, and hustling through the streets. I assume this is when they caught the center.

Yes, the McDonald's site is not far away at all...and this would indeed fit.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdvO0tmNjGo

Thanks again...now I will try to find the movie!

(Side bar...The Mac & Me title reminds me of the Friends episode when Joey starred in MAC & CHEESE!)
Clumsygenes
Contributor

Re:

Post by Clumsygenes »

I remember The Pantry. Ahh the good old days!