Fred Meyer Stores with Neon Roadside Signs

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2005

Fred Meyer Stores with Neon Roadside Signs

Post by StoreLiker2005 »

Hi Group,

I can vividly remember the neon-style roadside sign of the Peninsula Fred Meyer (at 6850 North Lombard in Portland), which you could see traveling west on N Lombard St, and was there from the store's inception in 1962 until about 1998. A 1978 remodel of the building ensued, but its roadside sign was located at least one block south from the store itself (pretty weird, huh?).

I'd like to ask you all this: Were there any other Freddy's stores with neon roadside signs? I know for one the Glisan location (at 6615 NE Glisan, which opened in 1961) MIGHT have had this up until the late '90s.

Ben (StoreLiker2005)
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Is this one still here? I can't remember the name of the street, but it was on one of the former US 99 routes leading south out of Portland.

StoreLiker2005

Post by StoreLiker2005 »

I know that one, and yes, AFAIK it's still open. It is of the Burlingame location, found at 7555 SW Barbur Blvd in SW Portland. This location opened in August of 1950, and had remodels in 1965, 1979 and 1990. It seems as though it may still be there to this day.

Ben (StoreLiker2005)
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

The Hazel Dell Fred Meyer used to have a neon sign until it became a Fred Meyer Marketplace store. There are others scattered around Portland that have done away with the neon, but the Burlingame store still has their sign.
StoreLiker2005

Post by StoreLiker2005 »

Super S wrote:The Hazel Dell Fred Meyer used to have a neon sign until it became a Fred Meyer Marketplace store. There are others scattered around Portland that have done away with the neon, but the Burlingame store still has their sign.
I know the Oak Grove location did away with their neon sign around 1984. And the Hawthorne (1951) location did away with its neon sign after 1996.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

Here in Seattle, Fred Meyer's presence started in the 1960's with the acquisition of Marketime Drug Stores. Although I have heard that they also bought a chain called Market Basket, which I don't ever remember seeing. So I don't know how true that is. Anyway, in the late 70's to mid 80's I worked at the White Center Fred Meyer at 2601 SW Roxbury St. This was a former Marketime Drug location. This location was built about 1961 or 1962 and had a neon sign as a Marketime. About 1977, this store finally became Fred Meyer and a neon sign until the mid 1990's when this location was torn down. I first remember this location having a sign on top of the Marketime sign for the adjacent Lucky store that was in the same building. But this sign was ont neon. But it seemed to be the typical Lucky sign for that time which was wide at the top and narrow at the bottom as it tapered down the sides. The Lucky store at this location moved when Lucky bought a nearby Mayfair. Then the store became a Thriftway, so the sign changed. Finally, Larry's Markets put their name on the Lucky-style sign and was still on top of the neon Fred Meyer sign for a few short years. When Larry's remodeled in the late 70's/early 80's, Larry's then erected their own sign at the opposite end of the parking lot and then the neon Fred Meyer sign was on it's own.