Pay Less-Safeway and Pay Less-Albertsons Combos

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Pay Less-Safeway and Pay Less-Albertsons Combos

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

How far back can one envision a Pay Less Drug-Safeway or Pay Less Drug-Albertsons combo in the Portland/Vancouver area?

http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot. ... enter.html

The above image is what inspired me to bring up this topic. Taken from the Pleasant Family Shopping blog, this sign represents a PLD-Safeway combo located somewhere in Washington State, back in 1961.

I know of one PLD-Albertsons combo in Milwaukie, OR: at the Milwaukie Marketplace mall, which opened in 1989 and pretty much shut down much retailing business in downtown Milwaukie. In Clackamas, a PLD-Safeway combo, which dated from the same year, was located at the 12000 block of Sunnyside Road (Sunnyside Marketplace mall).

But what were the oldest known PLD-Safeway or PLD-Albertsons combos in Portland and Vancouver (think back to the '60s and '70s)?

Regards,

Ben Edge (StoreLiker2006)
Dean
Veteran

Re: Pay Less-Safeway and Pay Less-Albertsons Combos

Post by Dean »

Are you saying a combo as in 2 buildings in the same shopping center...or a combo as in the same store building?
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Dean wrote:Are you saying a combo as in 2 buildings in the same shopping center...or a combo as in the same store building?
"Same shopping center" is what I really meant.

~Ben
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

I know that the old Marina Downtown Bellevue Safeway was built in conjunction with a Bartell Drugs store in the same building, and at one point they apparently even had an inside entrance joining the two stores.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

The old Tanasbourne Mall in Hillsboro was anchored by adjoining Safeway and Pay-Less stores. I believe they went up in the mid 1970's.

The current Safeway on the west side of 185th (Tanasbourne Mall was on the east side of 185th) replaced that store around 1990, and the mall property was demolished.

Never was much of a mall anyway...a very odd 'modern' design. It had a three-screen cinema and I seem to remember a hobby/toy shop in it, but it was largely stuff like dental offices. The limited interior space certainly didn't have a traditional mall layout.

I'd love to see some old pics of the place (in a thread dedicated the old mall, of course).
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

tesg wrote:The old Tanasbourne Mall in Hillsboro was anchored by adjoining Safeway and Pay-Less stores. I believe they went up in the mid 1970's.

The current Safeway on the west side of 185th (Tanasbourne Mall was on the east side of 185th) replaced that store around 1990, and the mall property was demolished.

Never was much of a mall anyway...a very odd 'modern' design. It had a three-screen cinema and I seem to remember a hobby/toy shop in it, but it was largely stuff like dental offices. The limited interior space certainly didn't have a traditional mall layout.

I'd love to see some old pics of the place (in a thread dedicated the old mall, of course).
You and me both...

Also, the Safeway at 1455 NE Division St. in Gresham which opened in 1974: Pay Less shared the same complex.

~Ben
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

The Bear Creek Center in Redmond (built around 1976 or so, if I'm reading things correctly) had a Safeway and a Pay N Save right next to each other when it was originally built which later became a Payless and then a Rite Aid. The Rite Aid is still there now.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.