three square sign, 1531 NE 145th st. Seattle

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

justin karimzad
Veteran

three square sign, 1531 NE 145th st. Seattle

Post by justin karimzad »

Does anyone know if the QFC at 1531 NE 145th St. in Seattle a former Lucky location? The pylon signs along NE 145th St. and NE 15th Ave. look a lot like the freestanding three square signs Lucky used in the late 1950s and early 1960s, such as the Placerville store. From what I could see in a street view, this one had the same shape and the top square was visible, while the rest of the tower is covered with signs.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Re: three square sign, 1531 NE 145th st. Seattle

Post by Brian Lutz »

Although I'm sure someone will correct me on this, I believe that Lucky's presence in the Seattle market was a lot later than that (I've seen newspaper ads for them from the early Eighties, but haven't seen anything much earlier than that.)

On the other hand, the round QFC sign on the front isn't typical, and leads me to wonder if this is a former Olson's location converted to OFC?

(Live search view for reference: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1)
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

The assessor says the property was first developed in 1966 and the QFC portion was built in 1980, so it very well could have been a Lucky supermarket.

Lucky came to the Seattle-Tacoma market with the purchase of the Big Bear chain in 1958 and sold the division off to Associated Grocers in 1985. Along the way, they picked up seven Foodland stores in 1963 and 16 Mayfair Market locations in 1975. Even with fairly heavy advertising, Lucky's market penetration in Seattle was quite low (23 stores with only a four percent share at the time of the sale to AG).
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

This store was indeed a Lucky store. When the Seattle division of Lucky was sold to Associated Grocers, this location was acquired by Olson's. That is why there is a oval QFC sign. Some of the other Lucky stores became Food Giant, Johnny's, Thriftway, Larry's among others. The former Lucky (Mayfair) at Westwood Village became a Food Giant, then QFC. Also, Johnny's was acquired by QFC. There are others that I can't name right now!