Extinct Supermarket Merchandise

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Shasta occasionally turns up in cases of Big K colas, I can only presume Bluefield Beverage produces Shasta in addition to Big K and Rocky Top colas and some other store brands. Rocky Top colas are basically Big K colas packaged for sale in non-Kroger stores, Red Food used to carry them and Kmart briefly before the American Fare brand , being the examples closest to North Georgia.

Fortunately I've never seen vegetable oil based milk and frozen desserts unless you count soy and rice derived products. The corn oil cheeses were downright nasty.

I remember a non-dairy chocolate drink called Choc-o-Charm, Kroger's version was Springdale and Winn-Dixie had Superbrand. Tasted sort like a melted Wendy's frosty, but more watery.

Store brand toaster pastries have greatly improved, they used to be horrible Pop Tart knockoffs.

Chiffon margarine has disappeared, remember "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature, it's not butter, it's Chiffon"

Libby's once had a pudding like canned dessert which contained fruit pieces, similar to fruit and yogurt in consistency. I believe Wyler's once had a line of drink mixes in sour flavors with characters for each variety.

Royal gelatins and puddings disappeared after Nabisco and Kraft merged, the no-bakes became Jell-o brand. I believe most store brands were manufactured by Royal.
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

Shasta and Faygo are both owned by National Beverage.

Shasta is still widely available in the Northwest at Associated stores and at WinCo. I also occasionally find it at Dollar General stores and Schnuck's in the Midwest. Shasta Cherry Cola is to this day one of my favorite drinks, though I've all but sworn off soda. (I had a six-pack while I was in Utah last month anyway.)

Faygo shows up at Dollar Tree stores here too, and is very common in grocery stores in Michigan and Wisconsin.

Shasta and Faygo have a couple of common flavors. "Moon Mist" would be one.

You can watch cool old Shasta commercials here:

http://www.shastapop.com/theater.html
Royal gelatins and puddings disappeared after Nabisco and Kraft merged, the no-bakes became Jell-o brand. I believe most store brands were manufactured by Royal.
My grandmother swore by Royal pudding (Cook-n-Serve, not instant). It was still available in supermarkets here until just a couple of years ago, and you can still order it from specialty websites. I have a stash of chocolate in my cupboard that only gets used on special occasions.

Jel-Sert actually owns Royal today. Wal-Mart sells Royal Flan and Royal No-Bake Cheesecake.

http://www.jelsert.com/products_royal.asp
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

Pepsi Blue also disappeared, I loved that drink, must've been a seasonal thing.
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

Walgreens still carries Royal brand gelatins. They frequently have it 5 boxes for $1.00
MBZ321
Contributor

Post by MBZ321 »

terryinokc wrote:Walgreens still carries Royal brand gelatins. They frequently have it 5 boxes for $1.00

Yeah, every supermarket around me stocks Royal pudding/Jello, from Wegmans to Shop Rite.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Another product gone, Schilling spices out west, replaced by the McCormick brand
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

jamcool wrote:Another product gone, Schilling spices out west, replaced by the McCormick brand
I had noticed that but didn't realize it was a geographic deal (in the vein of Dreyer's/Edy's and Best Foods/Hellman's)...
Chris Sampang
shane
Contributor

Post by shane »

I have not seen crown colony spices in over 25 years
another thing that's rare to find Band-Aids in a tin, or Spaghetti in a cardboard tube
TheQuestioner
Contributor

Post by TheQuestioner »

TheStranger wrote:
jamcool wrote:Another product gone, Schilling spices out west, replaced by the McCormick brand
I had noticed that but didn't realize it was a geographic deal (in the vein of Dreyer's/Edy's and Best Foods/Hellman's)...
I always wondered about Schilling. I had never seen that name until i moved to CA. I noticed that it looked like McCormick in every way except the name, and when I checked who made it it sure enough was McCormick. Were they originally their own company, and got bought out by McCormick? I know "Edy's" was just something Dreyer's had to make up to satisfy Breyer's hassling them when they (Dreyer's) moved east. What ever happened to Sealtest ice cream? Did Breyer's or Hershey's or some other big east coast ice cream maker buy them out?

I have occasionally seen Faygo, though Shasta isn't all that rare around here (No. California) In fact, there is a Shasta bottling plant complete with antique lighted sign in Hayward CA. I am not sure if the brand begand around the bay area, but they seem to have always been here and never completely left.
runchadrun
Veteran

McCormick/Schilling

Post by runchadrun »

TheQuestioner wrote:I always wondered about Schilling. I had never seen that name until i moved to CA. I noticed that it looked like McCormick in every way except the name, and when I checked who made it it sure enough was McCormick. Were they originally their own company, and got bought out by McCormick?
McCormick bought Schilling in 1947. Who knows why it took them almost 60 years to phase out the Schilling name...

These are quotes from the LA Times in 1987:
"The brands are so strong and so well-recognized by consumers that it just wouldn't be wise to drop one of them," says Donald Dick Jr., a vice president at McCormick & Co., which markets McCormick spices east of the Mississippi and Schilling spices to the west....

McCormick, the world's biggest spice processor with $250 million in spice and flavoring sales last year, runs national magazine advertisements that show both brands, Dick says. That's because its nearly impossible to be certain that some McCormick ads wouldn't appear in Schilling territory. "It's the only way that really makes sense for us," says Dick....

The spices are packed in jars and in red-and-white tins that are identical except for the names. For this reason, few consumers who migrate from one coast to another notice the difference, Dick says.
Last edited by runchadrun on 29 Dec 2006 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

I know "Edy's" was just something Dreyer's had to make up to satisfy Breyer's hassling them when they (Dreyer's) moved east.

The "Edy's" comes from one of the co-founders of Dreyers, there was a Mr Edy and a Mr Dreyer
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

We moved to Vegas from New Jersey and when we first moved here, we thought for the longest time the Dreyer's was generic store brand because we never saw it on the East Coast, lol. Some kmart ads here sometimes put Edy's pictures instead of Dreyer's pictures and at Smith's when they scan Dreyer's, it comes up as Edy's on the screen and the receipt.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

TheStranger wrote:
The commercial jingle for Hellman's is the same as for Best Foods "Bring out the Best Foods and bring out the Best"...except that it doesn't "bring out the Hell".
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

javelin wrote:The commercial jingle for Hellman's is the same as for Best Foods "Bring out the Best Foods and bring out the Best"...except that it doesn't "bring out the Hell".
Which is probably for the best...
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

Libby's once had a pudding like canned dessert which contained fruit pieces, similar to fruit and yogurt in consistency. [/quote]

This prouct was called "Fruit Float". I really liked it as a child. I even remember the jingle. It went like this: "I'll bet you'll like Fruit Float! But I bet you can't say it three times!".

I also remember Pillsbury's "Space Food Sticks". Supposedly NASA astronauts ate this on space missions. Pillsbury also had "Moo Juice" which was in packets and flavored milk like Nesquick.

Another short lived product was Betty Crocker "Toastwiches". They were frozen sandwiches that you cooked in the toaster.

While it may not be extinct, it is hard to find Seven Seas salad dressings outside of a Wal-Mart Supercenter. I really like the Green Goddess dressing. I stock up on it when I go to a Wally's Supercenter, which are not that close to Seattle.