Grocery Experience

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

klkla
Veteran

Grocery Experience

Post by klkla »

Hopefully this is the correct forum to add this to...

But I was wondering why so many people have an interest in this subject. For me it's was because I spent the first 15 years of my life in the grocery industry.

What I want to know is how many of you were or are in the industry and what your experience was. Also, what do you do now?

Me:

1980 (Day after I graduated high school) - 1984 - Mayfair Market #97, Ocean Beach (San Diego), CA. I was a box boy for the first year and then a cashier.

1984 - 1988 - Safeway #129 West Hollywood, CA (Became a Pavilions #229 in 1988). Was a box boy for the first couple of weeks, then a cashier for about a year and then assistant manager until I left.

1988 - 1992 - Pavilions #231 Santa Monica, CA (Assistant Manager)

1992 - 1995 - Pavilions #214 Burbank, CA (Assistant Manager - was a new build store that I worked at before it even had electricity or a parking lot during set up).

After that I left the undustry and now own my own website design firm.

And you guys?
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I've never worked in the industry, although I do have many years of other retail experience under my belt, first in fast food during high school, then with a catalog showroom in college, followed by a clothing retailer, and then nearly sixteen years with FedEx Kinko's.

Currently, I design websites and try to do some freelance writing on the side. Graduate school may be looming for me.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

I'm MAINLY INTO THE VONS/PAVILIONS STUDIES PRE-SAFEWAY...I FIND THE CONCEPTS OF THE STORES INTERRESTING...I LOVE THE WHOLE PAVILIONS CONCEPT SINCE I WAS YOUNGER AND WENT TO MY FIRST ONE (GARDEN GROVE) I WORKED AT ALL THE PAVILIONS STORES U MENTIONED AND LEFT BOUT 2 OR 3 YEARS AGO. I READ SOMEWHERE THO THAT THE WEST HOLLYWOOD STORE WAS A SAFEWAY THEN A VONS THEN A PAVILIONS...IF U VISIT THE PAVILIONS STORES U WILL NOTICE THAT THEY ARE NOTHING OF THE ORIGINAL VONS PAVILIONS CONCEPT....ITS A SAFEWAY AND ONLY A PAVILIONS IN NAME.
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
turbocsx
Contributor

Post by turbocsx »

i worked at a King Kullen store for about 2 years. But my interest pre-dates my employment in the industry.