A&P, 1999

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

pseudo3d
Veteran

A&P, 1999

Post by pseudo3d »

Obviously, A&P tried several concepts before its demise, but I'm curious about the c. 1999 A&P as seen here. I'm not sure if A&P had variants of this for its other markets (Kohl's Food, Sav-a-Center NOLA, Farmer Jack) but I'm kind of curious to see how this store type was. The commercial didn't show much of an interior, but it looked like it carried a greater collection of sundries and international foods, and had a menu for "Carryout Cuisine". Given that this was probably the last new A&P model before the "Fresh" remodels, the Pathmark acquisition, and shuttering all but the Northeastern stores, surely this model has a place in A&P history, right? How was it?
wnetmacman
Veteran

Re: A&P, 1999

Post by wnetmacman »

There were a couple of these built in the New Orleans area as Sav-A-Center stores. I'm pretty sure it was used throughout their different areas. I've also seen this design with SuperFresh and Farmer Jack logos on it.
Scott Greer
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
dominion301
Contributor

Post by dominion301 »

Those 'Fast Lane' signs were used in A&Ps Canadian stores in the same era, except they were red & white. My store had them. However, no Canadian stores ever looked like the photos above, but that was also shortly before the US side of the business started adopting more Canadian A&P practices, such as the Canadian 'We're Fresh Obsessed' slogan.