Store Directory Kiosks

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Barcelos
Contributor

Store Directory Kiosks

Post by Barcelos »

I remember a Stop n Shop I went to infrequently as a kid had a little touch screen kiosk at the front where you could pick what you were looking for and it would tell you the aisle (pretty cool considering the time period). I left the Stop n Shop region shortly after they were introduced and have yet to see a kiosk in another chain since. Was this something unique to that time period (circa 1990) or unique to that chain or is everyone else shopping at grocery stores with kiosks while I remain in the dark ages?
Barcelos
Contributor

Post by Barcelos »

49 views and no replies. All I needed was a simple "yes my store has a kiosk" or "no my store does not have a kiosk and never did".
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

Waremart had something similar in their Boise stores in the late 80s, not sure if Winco (what Waremart became) still uses them.
shopnbag

Post by shopnbag »

Never seen this type of kiosk before, although I seem to remember a CA grocery store that experimented with a locator on the grocery cart. Was it Vons?
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

shopnbag wrote:Never seen this type of kiosk before, although I seem to remember a CA grocery store that experimented with a locator on the grocery cart. Was it Vons?
Close...it was Pavilions. The Culver City store had flat-panel screens on their carts and sensors hanging down from the ceilings at the end of each aisle so the cart knew what aisle it was in. It would show you what was on sale in the aisle you were in and had a directory that you could use to find stuff by aisle. I had read that the ultimate goal was to link the path you took through the store to your actual purchases but I don't think that ever happened. They had the carts for a year or two in the early 90s and then scrapped it.