Disco balls in supermarkets

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

shane
Contributor

Disco balls in supermarkets

Post by shane »

I remember in the 1970's some supermarkets used to hang disco balls from the ceiling. Here in Lancaster we have a few remnants of this. The stores have changed hands and the balls still remain. Has anyone seen this before?
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

I can honestly say I don't recall ever seeing disco balls in supermarkets - of course, that would be most un-Richmond!
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

In Atlanta, there is a store that was once called the "Disco Kroger" because of it's location in the center of Atlanta's nightlife at the time. So I wonder if they had a disco ball. Or what about the former Big Star, later A&P that was next door?

This store is the "Ansley Mall" Kroger in the Ansley Park/Midtown area of Atlanta, now the center of Atlanta's Gay community. I have heard it called the "Kro-Gay" and "Disco Kroger" by the "old timers".
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Edric Floyd wrote:In Atlanta, there is a store that was once called the "Disco Kroger" because of it's location in the center of Atlanta's nightlife at the time. So I wonder if they had a disco ball. Or what about the former Big Star, later A&P that was next door?
I think it was more a reference to that store's slightly over the top 1970s/1980s chrome decor. The fomer A&P next door is now a Publix, BTW.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Groceteria wrote:
Edric Floyd wrote:In Atlanta, there is a store that was once called the "Disco Kroger" because of it's location in the center of Atlanta's nightlife at the time. So I wonder if they had a disco ball. Or what about the former Big Star, later A&P that was next door?
I think it was more a reference to that store's slightly over the top 1970s/1980s chrome decor. The fomer A&P next door is now a Publix, BTW.

The A&P building was completely torn down in 1998 and Publix built brand new on the site. This was more than a year before A&P pulled out of Georgia completely.

The Kroger (finally) remodeled after that.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

You're confusing the "Disco" and "Cruisy" Krogers. The Disco Kroger is in the Buckhead area and was recently remodeled as a Signature prototype at a reported cost of several million dollars. It looks like a slightly upscale Kroger, as it did in the recent past. The store used to be a Disco. There's no Publix in the immediate vicinity.

The Cruisy Kroger is next to Ansley Mall, which does have a Publix that used to be a BigStar/A&P. The Big Star/A&P once was a Kroger, too, until Kroger moved the present location. The Kroger store is famous late night cruising among gay men. It's something of a white elephant as Publix seems to do as much or more business in smaller space.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

rich wrote:You're confusing the "Disco" and "Cruisy" Krogers. The Disco Kroger is in the Buckhead area and was recently remodeled as a Signature prototype at a reported cost of several million dollars. It looks like a slightly upscale Kroger, as it did in the recent past. The store used to be a Disco. There's no Publix in the immediate vicinity.

The Cruisy Kroger is next to Ansley Mall, which does have a Publix that used to be a BigStar/A&P. The Big Star/A&P once was a Kroger, too, until Kroger moved the present location. The Kroger store is famous late night cruising among gay men. It's something of a white elephant as Publix seems to do as much or more business in smaller space.
Now that you mention it, I have heard the name "Cruisy Kroger" as well.