Serving [insert town] since [insert year]?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Serving [insert town] since [insert year]?

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Has anyone seen signs at Safeway that read something like this: "Serving Springfield since 1996?" When did they first use these signs? I have found them hanging at older Safeways, but newer remodeled Safeways have this signage on the wall.
submariner
Veteran

Re: Serving [insert town] since [insert year]?

Post by submariner »

They've been on the walls since at least the 80's with the red-grey decor (the oldest decor I've seen so far) further back, I couldn't say, though I'm sure someone on here does...
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

Quite a few of the Safeways here have those. I believe the local one in Redmond says 1954, but the current location has existed only since 1975 or so. In one lifestyle remodel of an (expanded) Marina store, they replaced the old "It is our pleasure to serve you" sign at the front of the store with a "Serving Renton since 1964" sign. Given how long Safeway has been around here (Kirkland actually had at least one pre-merger Skaggs United Store in the 1920s that eventually became a Safeway) I'd guess that was based on the specific store, not how long Safeway has has a store in Renton.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Brian Lutz wrote:Given how long Safeway has been around here (Kirkland actually had at least one pre-merger Skaggs United Store in the 1920s that eventually became a Safeway) I'd guess that was based on the specific store, not how long Safeway has has a store in Renton.
It seems there isn't a standard for how they choose what date to put on the signs. The Lakewood Towne Center store has a "Serving Lakewood since 1930" sign, though I don't believe they had a store in what would become Lakewood until 1941. The direct predecessor of the current store was built in 1960.

The Callow Avenue store in Bremerton has a "Serving Bremerton since 1964" sign, which would be the date when the previous store on the same site was built. It replaced a store built in 1940, however, and I think their presence probably goes back several more years.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

In my local Vons the sign originally said "Serving Granada Hills since 1996" which is when that store was built, but it was replacing a store at the other end of the shopping center that opened in 1960. The employees from the old store were annoyed that it didn't say 1960 so when they did the Lifestyle remodel they changed the sign to 1960.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Montebello Vons has something odd:

Their sign says SERVING MONTEBELLO SINCE 196-something.

Its odd, since the store was originally a Thriftimart, then it became a Safeway in 1980 or so....then a Vons.