Kroger Superstore newspaper article, 1972

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

Kroger Superstore newspaper article, 1972

Post by Andrew T. »

While going through some microfilms at the library today, I came upon this interesting article in the April 27, 1972 issue of the Charleston, WV Gazette:
"Kroger to Expand Service With New 'Superstores.'"

One thing I find interesting is that the article states that nearly as many expansions and remodelings of existing stores were planned for this area as brand new buildings. I had been under the impression that Kroger seldom remodeled stores back then, and pre-superstore-turned-superstore conversions were by and large the exception to the rule. I'm curious what's become of those stores today...

Another thing I find particularly fascinating is the "artist's sketch" of a prototype superstore. Compared to a typical real-life store, this sketch features a wider walkway canopy with two sets of overhead arches, no vertical white stripes on the brick facing, no "KROGER" sign visible on the store itself, and a series of mysterious round things high on the facing below the roofline. It makes you wonder...
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
h8wlmt

Re: Kroger Superstore newspaper article, 1972

Post by h8wlmt »

Andrew T. wrote: ...I had been under the impression that Kroger seldom remodeled stores back then, and pre-superstore-turned-superstore conversions were by and large the exception to the rule. I'm curious what's become of those stores today...

Another thing I find particularly fascinating is the "artist's sketch" of a prototype superstore. Compared to a typical real-life store, this sketch features a wider walkway canopy with two sets of overhead arches, no vertical white stripes on the brick facing, no "KROGER" sign visible on the store itself, and a series of mysterious round things high on the facing below the roofline...
First, thank you for posting that article. It's hard to imagine a VP speaking so candidly about expansion plans as well as such an investment in one area at one time. 11.4 million for 27 new stores and 21 remodels. That's one hell of a bargain. I suppose it's a great reflection of the era, and how the grocery business really changed during this time. What a great find!

It was my impression too that Kroger usually built new rather then remodel but there were definitely exceptions. I think that each marketing area has a couple stores floating around in the 10k sq ft range. This one below operated until early last year. I believe there was a cube sign on the road, and no label scar from the block letters that should be there from that era.
Vandalia_Cropped.GIF
Complete with Millennium Market interior and vintage superstore lane markers. You can't tell in this version of the picture, but you can see both corners of the store.
Complete with Millennium Market interior and vintage superstore lane markers. You can't tell in this version of the picture, but you can see both corners of the store.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Really great article. Now if someone could just find an audio file of "Tomorrow's store today. Kroger's got it." jingle from the superstore launch.

Actually, I've run across several older stores that were apparently upgraded into superstores. Most of the ones I've seen (perhaps not surprisingly) were in the midwest: Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

Heh, thanks! I've always had a soft spot for the Kroger superstores myself, in all their understated '70s brown-brick glory. I hope to share some more photos of those "earth keyed" interior elements soon!

Come to think of it, early superstores tend to have an shorter arch overhang (not quite tall enough to mount a "Delicatessen" sign to) than later stores, and some stores did without the white stripes on the brick facing. Some early superstores may have even used the modular K-R-O-G-E-R signs from the '60s, while others may have initally done without signs on the front at all. (I'm also starting to think that the "mysterious round things" in the drawing are actually just streetlights on the planting strip across from the store.)
Groceteria wrote:Actually, I've run across several older stores that were apparently upgraded into superstores. Most of the ones I've seen (perhaps not surprisingly) were in the midwest: Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan.
The Dearborn, Michigan '50s store-turned-superstore is an interesting case: From above, you can clearly see how it was expanded to 3/2 its former size.
(And am I dreaming, or is that a small, old Kroger sign still visible on the back of the building?)
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull