Supermarket "spokesmodels?"

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Did this guy do any other ads for Safeway besides just this one?

LVbearAM

Re: alpha beta markets spokesman

Post by LVbearAM »

wayne winterland jr. wrote:Hi Jeff

If I remember correctly it was Alan Hamel (Suzanne Sommers husband) who was the Aplha Beta Markets spokesperson for a few years
You're right on the money. I remember the Hamel commercials when Alpha Beta came to Las Vegas in the 1980's. In fact, if you watched the "Three's Company" TV movie on NBC a few years ago, there was one scene where "Suzanne" interrupted "Alan" (who was also her manager) while he was doing an Alpha Beta commercial!
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

In the old incarnation of this board, there was a discussion of the different spokespersons for supermarkets. Safeway did not have the same spokesperson for all its' regions. Here in the Seattle division of Safeway, we had Lucy Rush (I don't remember if I am spelling her name right). She was on commercials in the 70's and 80's. If I remember correctly, she even sang a soft pop version of the "Since we're neighbors, let's be friends" jingle. Unfortunately she was killed as she was walking across Seattle's Ballard bridge when a ladder fell off a truck.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Currently for Albertsons...it is Patricia Heaton (from EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND).

Years ago...the jingle was "it's Joe Albertsons' Supermarket. But the ____department is mine!" They had various folks filling in which department (meat, veggie, etc).

Did they ever show JOE ALBERTSON? i.e. pix?
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Giant of Landover had Esther Peterson for awhile. She was their consumer rep and had been a special assistant for consumer affairs in the Carter administration. Before that she'd been Assistant Labor Secretary under Truman and had had various labor and state department positions related to employment practices & women's issues under Kennedy, Johnson, & Nixon.