Supermarket in "The Mist"

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

romleys
Veteran

Supermarket in "The Mist"

Post by romleys »

The new movie titled The Mist based on Steven King's novel of the same name appears to be the main setting as families take refuge in the store. The previews show at least ten different angles of the store with various things occuring. I think that the interior of the store is that of a Safeway since the wall graphics and lettering are almost exact to a design of the late 1960's. Is there any other prelimanary ideas of what the store could be? Ill be at the theater on opening night!
Last edited by romleys on 05 Nov 2007 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
Charles H:)
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Miss on the title, it's actually "The Mist", but yeah, i noticed it too, and for a brief split second, you get a decent shot of the front, it's a gable style Safeway. Who knows where, though...
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

According to IMDB, the movie was filmed in Shreveport. If you look closely at the fonts on the wall graphics in the movie trailer and compare them to the Safeway photos on this site you'll notice they aren't quite the actual fonts original to the Safeway decor. A nit-pick, I know...
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

The fonts look condensed, yes, I'm guessing due to the store's overal shorter space... I took some screen grabs, and a good one showing the full facade (no listing under the store name as shown in the movie), if anyone wants to try to pinpoint this storefront in Shreveport:

Courtesy Darkwoods Productions

Courtesy Groceteria.com

Courtesy Grocerteria.com

wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

I'm pretty sure that's not a store in Shreveport. Shreveport doesn't have any surviving gable-style stores from any company that was ever there (and that was only Safeway and Piggly Wiggly). Safeway only had newer stores in Shreveport when they left with the rest of the Dallas division in 1987. They never built a gable or a marina there. That could be in the outlying areas around Shreveport, but I'm not sure if any town around there has a store like this still in existence.

http://www.wikipedia.org shows that the outside shots were done in a nearby town called Vivian, but there was *never* a Safeway there. They only have a Wal-Mart because the people there don't want to go all the way to Shreveport to shop.

Most likely, the inside was recreated on the sound stage, and the outside was stolen from somewhere.
Scott Greer
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

it's interesting, since the design is definitely Safeway, and on the exterior, you can see a circular logo where the Safeway "circle S" logo would have been. The only strange part is the central entrance,
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The interior had to be recreated or filmed elsewhere. The photos don't exactly match. The center doors look smaller inside than they do outside.
romleys
Veteran

Safeway?

Post by romleys »

I think that if this was store was fictional and simply on a soundstage the details would be far less specific. I feel that there has to be an explanation as to why this store clearly has a Safeway interior and exterior S symbol. There is no way that someone wouldve put so much work into designing a store with this much detail relating to Safeway. In addition the decor wouldnt have been so detatiled as to put the words in the same placement and design. Then again what if any (former?) Safeway store remains this intact?
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

I agree, that is very odd a set designer would go to such painstaking effort to recreate a Safeway interior package. I am pretty certain the interior of the store is a set, because if you look at the exterior of the "Food House" the windows don't seem to go all the way to the ground, but on the shot looking at the doors the windows do go all the way to the ground. I'm really curious what connection to Safeway there is with whoever did the sets/location scouting for this movie!
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

Has anyone seen the movie? I'm thinking *maybe* they where hiding in more then one store. Meaning that these 2 stores might be completely different and not the same.
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
romleys
Veteran

The Mist

Post by romleys »

I'm seeing it on Friday. I cant wait for the DVD:)
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

I saw the movie last night. I think it's a set and some Safeway fan...who probably lurks here...recreated a classic interior.

The movie, by the way, is hideous.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

The speculation here was ALL correct. Today's Shreveport Times has all the answers here:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbc ... /712010341

Essentially, the outside was Tom's Market in Vivian, LA. The store has always been an independant. The inside was shot on a sound stage in Shreveport. They did recreate a 70's/80's Safeway inside......
Scott Greer