What Marina Safeways Were Enlarged to Super Stores?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2006
Veteran

What Marina Safeways Were Enlarged to Super Stores?

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Hi,

Given the observation that the Cole Center area Safeway Super Store in Cheyenne, WY had began life as a smaller Safeway in the Marina era due to the preservation of its original parking signpost (as well as the distinct Marina bulge if you look at it in aerial view), this is a question I'd like to share with all you Safeway buffs:

What Safeways from the Marina age (1959-1973) had been successfully converted by Safeway to Super Stores circa 1975 to 1981?
Last edited by StoreLiker2006 on 17 Oct 2007 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
romleys
Veteran

Possible conversion

Post by romleys »

I think the store located at 1800 East St. in Concord,CA became a superstore in January 1978. Prior to becoming a superstore it was a marina store, no demolition ever took place that I am aware of.
Charles H:)
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

The Safeway in the Admiral District in West Seattle was a Marina Safeway that was converted into a "Superstore". It has been expanded several times and is currently a "Lifestyle" store. Also there had been a Safeway in Burien, WA that kept the marina arch as a superstore since an adjacent Wigwam store went out of business. It was a visible marina store until the early 2000's when it was demolished for the remodel of the Burien Plaza shopping center. It was rebuilt using the last decor package before adopting the "Lifestyle" motif.