Where does Circle K come into the equation?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

storeliker
Contributor

Where does Circle K come into the equation?

Post by storeliker »

Anyone know about Circle K? I know nothing about them, except they seem to be a new operation I am suspecting. I see them almost every now that they merge there stores with 76 gas stations in the west. Is this the franchise that the Moonies owned in the seventies?
me
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

Circle K has been around for a while. I think they are based in Arizona. I do remember in the 80s, there were quite a few in Boise, Idaho which were older buildings with sloped ceilings, then remodeled for a more modern appearance. At that time it seemd that only a few also sold gasoline.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Circle K had its start in El Paso as Kay's Food Stores-small neighborhood-style stores. The founder, Fred Hervey named them after his wife. They expanded to Phoenix in the early 50s...there was an existing Kay's Foods in PHX, so Hervey called the stores "Circle K". The chain moved its HQ to Phoenix and began a steady expansion throughout the Western US up to the 70s. In the 1980s Karl Eller (the founder of Combined Communications) took over as the head of Circle K, which went on a acquisition binge - buying rivals UToteM, Shop&Go, and Little General - in an attempt to be a national rival to 7-11. Subsequently Circle K took on a lot of debt that forced it to pull out of a number of markets. Eller was kicked out, and an Arab-based investment group took over.

Then Circle K went through a succession of owners and expansion/contraction periods. In the early 90s the oil refiner Tosco bought the chain. Tosco also bought the refineries/retail operations of Union 76, so 76 gas was added to most Circle K stores. Then Phillips Petroleum bought Tosco. Then Conoco merged with Phillips to form Conoco-Phillips...Circle K didn't fit into Conoco's business plans, so it was finally sold to its current owner, Couche-Tard of Canada - owner of the Mac's and Couche-Tard (French for "Night Owl") chains. Circle K became the US division of Couche-Tard - which included the rebranding of the US Mac's stores to the "K" and is in the process of remodeling its outlets that was absent during the Phillips-Conoco years.

Early Circle Ks were similar to 7-11s - offering limited groceries, dairy, and some fresh fruits ...then going to the basic C-store snacks/sodas/beer format.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

We had several Circle K's here in Fresno, a few of them still have the 80's Circle-K interior, only the new operator has painted over the purple stripe with yellow paint. (The 80's Circle K had orange, red and purple stripes going around the perimeter of the store.) The rest of them are not very recognizeable as ex- Circle K's, one was remodeled into a big & tall clothing store but was turned back into a convenience store after that closed. The rest all went on to be independent c-stores.
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

I remember Circle K had a presence in Central North Carolina for a time.

Circle K also appeared in the late 90's in the Washington area. After Mobil merged with Exxon, the Washington area was divested to ConocoPhillips. ConocoPhillips, acquiring formerly corporate owned Mobil stations w/On the Run convenience stores, rebranded them Circle K. ConocoPhillips in 2004, sold the gas stations to Sunoco, who is in the process of rebranding the gas to Sunoco away from Mobil, and the c-stores to APlus, the brand they acquired from their 1993 buyout of former Atlantic and Arco stations in Pennsylvania.
Last edited by danielh_512 on 20 Jan 2006 16:17, edited 1 time in total.