7-11

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

7-11 selling other brands of gasoline

Post by luckysaver »

When did 7-11 start selling gasoline (either their own brand or co-branded with a major brand)?

There are some 7-11's that sell gasoline other than their own brand. In Pomona, CA (57 Freeway at Temple Ave), they sell Valero. The Covina location on Grand and Covina Blvd first opened as a Chevron and when they converted it, it briefly sold Citgo. That store's owner cancelled their association with Citgo and converted to 7-11 brand (probably because Citgo is controlled by a country that is less than friendly to the US).

Gas prices are similar to the major brands depending where you live - occasionally, a 7-11 may sell it as much as 10 cents cheaper than a major name brand across the street (if that particular 7-11 sells 7-11 brand gas).

luckysaver
submariner
Veteran

Re: 7-11

Post by submariner »

7-Eleven had a long running contract nationwide with Citgo. A couple years ago, the contract came up and they declined to renew, and over the past year, have rebranded them as their own.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

According to an article I found on one of the local 7-Eleven stores opening, they started selling gas in 1971. The location near here is notable as being one of the first "Super-Seven" locations which included a larger gas station with fifteen pumps and its own attendant, as opposed to the more typical setup of a couple of pumps in front of the store. The 7-Eleven store is still operating today (as seen in the Blog post) but the gas station eventually became a Chevron station.

The post: http://thesledgehammer.wordpress.com/20 ... -on-148th/

Does anyone know how long the Super-Seven gas station format lasted?

EDIT: One clarification on this: The article on my site does not in fact provide into on when the self-serve gas stations started showing up at 7-elevens, but the history timeline on 7-eleven's website confirms that it was 1971. Apparently, there were Tote'm (7-eleven's predecessor) stores that had gasoline as early as 1928 though:

http://www.7-eleven.com/AboutUs/Milesto ... fault.aspx
Last edited by Brian Lutz on 14 Jan 2009 04:04, edited 2 times in total.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
ajsanjua
Contributor

Post by ajsanjua »

There are still some 7-11's that are still branded under Citgo despite ending the contract. I could be wrong though, assuming that corporate has not gotten around to changing the signage on some of their stores.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

ajsanjua wrote:There are still some 7-11's that are still branded under Citgo despite ending the contract. I could be wrong though, assuming that corporate has not gotten around to changing the signage on some of their stores.
Last I checked, the two 7-Eleven/Citgo combos in Bay City were still branded Citgo. I've also seen 7-Eleven co-branded with Marathon (M-84 north of Saginaw, I-75 in West Branch) and Shell (US-127 in Clare; this used to have a Taco Bell in it too, but they built a KFC/Taco Bell next door).

(Edited to add) The Saginaw 7-11/Marathon is now a Citgo, but the West Branch one is still a Marathon. Not sure about Clare, as I haven't been there in a while.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on 22 Mar 2009 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Southland Corporation bought Citgo from Occidental Petroleum in 1983. In 1986 they sold a 50% interest to Venezuela's state-owned oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela, which then bought the rest of the company in 1989.

In 1976 Southland bought 183 West Coast gas stations from Tosco who, in turn, bought them from Phillips Petroleum. The goal was to convert them into 7-Elevens with gas stations. (Fast forward to a few years ago when ConocoPhillips bought Tosco who, by then, was operating 76 (former Unocal) stations.) According to the NYT, Southland had 7400 7-Eleven stores, 2920 with gas sales by 1983.
Rob_L
Contributor

Post by Rob_L »

7-11 had been cobranded at SOME locations, I can recall a location in South NJ that was Amoco in the early 90's. Fast forward to today, where certain gasoline jobbers (such as APEC in Tampa, Fl) can develop franchise locations, cobranded with pretty much any major oil company. APEC has one Chevron location in Sumterville, Fl @ I-75 exit 321, and another in development in central Fl, that is going to be a BP location.

Company owned, company supplied locations (most metro areas, as well as the immediate Tampa area) are branded with 7-11 fuel. 7-11 corporate decided to go unbranded after the Citgo contract expired, most locations are supplied by Tower Energy with unbranded fuel. I also know that Sinclair is supplying the rocky mountain area with unbranded gas as well..