Bonus Gifts Points

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

buckhead
Contributor

Bonus Gifts Points

Post by buckhead »

I recall this program from back in the 70's, maybe even back into the late 60's. Basically, it was a system whereby consumers could collect and redeem/convert the points by mail for certificates equivalent to a set value of trading stamp books that would be honored by most of the then-current trading stamp companies. The coupons themselves were typically blue, and were either imprinted directly on the product packing or were stickers applied to individual products. They were sort of like Betty Crocker coupons, Red Scissors coupons, and the like. The coupons themselves typically had an expiration date, and could often be paired with PINK Bonus Gifts Points typically found in Sunday newspaper inserts that would multiply the savings further when matched with BLUE coupons found on specific products. This allowed for specific product targeted savings and promotion.

I cannot find anything to speak of on the history of this program, but I do recall it. I believe the program came to rise as stamps overall were beginning their decline. Does anyone here have any images of the coupons themselves or any recollections as to the actual administration and history of the program? Among other things, I was wondering if the mail order system was handled by one of the typical coupon clearinghouses of the day or by a special cooperative venture organized by the trading stamp compaines of the time. I know toward the end, the selection of trading stamp companies consumers could get certificates for had declined, but I suspect this was also a function of some of these companies having consolidated or ceased business.
dooneyt63
Contributor

Bonus Gifts

Post by dooneyt63 »

I remember the program. Many magazines of the day had advertisements with the Bonus Gifts product participation noted. I know of at least a couple where there was a special promotional section featuring only ads from Bonus Gifts products. I will see if I can find some of these; perhaps one includes a description of the program's administration. These were in women's service magazines like Better Homes & Gardens, McCall's, Good Housekeeping, Family Circle, etc.